How do I create a light beam

I slightly understand beams in studio after just being told how useful they are and I’m wondering how to create ones similar to a ray of light from perhaps a lamp or bulb. I know how to make the beam itself, just wondering how to edit the properties of it if that’s what you do. :thinking:

15 Likes

LightEmission property or are you asking how to create light on the beam similar to a surfacelight?

Someone told me to use light beams in a Discord chat. Not sure if they were right but I understood what they meant. It’s so that you can create a ray of light to look decently realistic from thin to thick. I don’t know what it’s called exactly though.

Not enough information.
All I know from your posts is that you slightly understand Beams, and that you would like to make light from it.

Do you have any reference, an image that would show visually what effect you want to achieve?

1 Like

https://gyazo.com/4ff18006f4845dab41f1c5595dfde0c3

2 Likes

Oh, you want a cone(ish) shape? Just set the widths in the properties (Width0 and Width1).

1 Like

Thanks. Do you know where I can get the textures from too?

You can either make them yourself with a decal, or you can use others’ decals, either way you just get the assetid of the image and plug it into the Texture box in properties.

1 Like

Alright cheers. :+1:

Finally did it, thanks.

13 Likes

No problemo, the build looks great, btw.

Thank you!

oooouuu Awesome! :+1:

Can you make a Solved post that says how you achieved this so other Devs can do it too.

:smiley: Thanks.

I’m new to this also, not 100% sure how if I’m honest.

Yeah, it’s okay as long as you do your best :+1:

Trust me, other Devs (at least me) think that this is cool so they would love to know how you done it.

For those who want to know how: Create two bricks and connect attachments to each one. Select one of the parts or attachments and add a new beam. Next, choose the beam, open properties and select the attachments for the beam (Attachment0, Attachment1). Make sure attachment0 is where the beam starts and attachment1 is where the beam ends. Once you got the beam select the width (Width0, Width1) and edit them to create a cone shape. Once you’re done with that, add a texture in properties to make it look like realistic light! :slight_smile:

43 Likes

That’s a nice-looking trolley(?). Those light effects could come in handy for my game.

Using beams for visible bullet traces on my game, they are indeed great to use

1 Like

I’m so glad I found out, it really gives an atmosphere to builds.