How do I increase player count on my game?

My game usually gets anywhere from 600-900 concurrent players at a time, there have been times where it got more than 1000. At nights (I’m in EST), the number drops to around 400-500. As for right now, 4:26 PM EST 8/7/20, the game has 878 players.

I’d say the playercount from all platforms is about equal.

The average playtime for my game has been steadily going up since I did a large update about a month ago, averaging at about 12-15 minutes, up from under 10 minutes just a month ago. Sometimes, depending on device, it’s even higher than that. Some devices, however, are still relatively low.

I don’t spend a whole lot on ads, but I’ll spend anywhere from 5k-15k robux on sponsors/ads for all platforms at a time.

How do I increase concurrent player count on my game? One thing I definitely should look at is increasing mobile playtimes/improving their gameplay, but other than that, how do I increase player count for xbox and computer players, who probably have the best device gameplay? Should I spend more on ads?

1 Like

Add updates and tell people about that update, you can do that by using twitter and by updating the thumbnail + the name.

Let’s say you added a new update that added “parachutes”

So you can just post it in twitter using the Roblox and RobloxDev tags, use the notification system (Where you simply can send a notification to players who follows your game that the game updated), and then you can just do:

[PARACHUTES] Game Name

And then a new thumbnail (You can put parachutes on it to call more attention.)

And logically you can just use ADS.

If you want to have a stable high player count you can either add updates frequently or add things that will make players want to play it for longer time.

Like daily rewards, tournaments, leaderboards, hidden badges.

I have a daily reward system that gives x amount of cash for joining each day. I think I need to make it higher!

As for tournaments and leaderboards, how would I do that? Do like a “highest amount of kills/cash in the game” kinda thing that all players could see?

I also intend on doing “seasons” where I add big new updates every month or so.

2 Likes

Yes, tournaments could be something like a place you go and it creates a round with all the people there (A example is at isle rounds making), then it gives something like a multiplier or simply badges where you can get a thing for having some ammount.

And leaderboards could be most money, most kills, most badges. This combo is good because players would want to make their base better to get better weapons and in case of some players, farm it until they achieve the top of leaderboard.

Already do that, in my game, anywhere between every 10-15 minutes, a round starts where you have to hold down a random island in the game for 3 minutes consecutively, and they win x amount of cash. I might change it to be more frequent, have more game mode types (random bounties, etc.) and make the rewards different.

Have you attempted building a following? Establishing a community is key in product success.

I have numerous groups, a discord with 800+ members, etc. for it.

What else would a following entail?

Wow, ok. How actively do you involve them. Events, etc.

Honestly don’t do much besides a contest for an event here and there.

I have a developer in the server who programs bots, I think we’re gonna try to implement a system where your rank in the game carries over the server, or something like that. Do you have any other ideas we could?

Yeah I have a few. Since your game is a two player tycoon, you could essentially create a tournament scenario for all your players. Pit to players against each other, winner moves on and competes against the next in line for a prize. You could do this with elite players or the sort. Another is to hide missions and Easter eggs within your game and have players look for them intentionally, winner gets a cash prize. These are just some ideas.

Just get a Youtuber to play your game and leaderboards and daily rewards makes some people play more often

I was about to say, content creators are the most effective form of popularity increase.

1 Like

I’ve seen a lot of low quality games (sorry) get crazy popular and make thousands of dollars because a famous Youtuber played it. I have a friend who made farting simulator, about 10k USD worth of robux was spent on his game because a Youtuber played it.

1 Like

Wow. Is that the one I always see around? Incredible.

No it died out a few years ago someone just recently made a knockoff. The original was recently taken down.

Yeah, I remember there was also a pooping simulator at some point. Wild times.

As for content creators, there’s a ton of pretty crappy two player tycoons (and tycoons in general) that get a ton of visits and thousands of concurrent players because of content creators.

Ironically enough, when I made a crap reverted version of my game when the mass FE conversion was dropped, I had a TON of content creators, like GamingWithKev, JeromeASF, and actually some foreign language ones (French, Vietnamese, Dutch, etc) make videos on the game. I wasn’t even running ads at this point, and the game at the time was very thrown together, since I was too lazy and busy with IRL stuff (it was the summer after I graduated high school) to do an in-depth FE conversion.

Even then, when those content creators were making a ton of videos within that 6 month time period, the average concurrent player count wasn’t as high as it is now.

I’ve been trying to get some content creators to make videos on the game. There is one I was talking to for a while, but I kept pushing the game release back and he has games of his own I’m sure he prioritizes, so nothing really happened with that.

Is there a way to get the attention of content creators? I once tried reaching out to some many years ago, but I never got a response.

Also, what do you mean by “leaderboards”? Right now the leaderboard I have is a pretty meh custom, click TAB to view, one. I intend to redo it next season.

Sorry for not being able to answer you, it was midnight.

The rewards could be something different and that people can “flex” for having, like badges or items or multipliers.

And by leaderboard I think what he meant was these global leaderboards (Most games have.) where it shows a global result of the biggest ammount of wins and other things.

My idea would be making players with more “experience” have benefit due to having more money, like gears and all.

So it would make people want to get the gears.

And make the gameplay somehow less boring by adding more things to do.

Creating a community is also a good way to have a increase, you can just ping them when a update is out and the number of players would increase so much.

Then add a little bonus to these who goes to that community.

How would you get youtubers to play your games?

Exactly, u just gotta advertise normally. Pay semi big (around 1000 views people) YT to play your games. Just gotta advertise a lot that is really the only way. U just gotta hope they stumble across your game.

1 Like

I explored your game for a while and here are some feedback and ideas I can give.

Bugs
There are a lot like the tank shooting part coming off, to the jump lagging(not sure if this is intentional) or the arrow not appearing. I would recommend fixing that first before doing anything else because bugs are annoying and may cause people to leave your game.

UI
I’m not a UI expert(or a developer expert) but when I entered the game, the UI didn’t feel welcoming. It was rather simple(not trying to offend you) and plain. You could add some green colours which could represent military or a variety of colours to make your UI more welcoming. Here’s a website to help you find a colour combination - Click me

Style
A style would be good for your game. Meaning what your game’s feel and looks are. Some games are a bit more cartoonish, some more realistic, but I can’t see a style with your game. While this is not entirely necessary, it’s good to have.

IDEAS:

1. You could have random planes come and go past someone’s base from time to time and drop airdrops which will give the players guns, armour etc.

2. You could have domination sort of thing where there’s an island and whoever claims it ffor 2-3 mins will get extra money or something. And players will fight over the island so that they can get more money.

3. You could have random events happening where players will be greeted with a UI of what event they want. Some examples of events could be a FPS or a CTF(capture the flag). That way, players don’t have to do the same thing all the time and can do some special events too.

That’s all from me. Hope this helps!

1 Like