How do I know I'm paying the right price for a terrain commission?

Hello! I recently commissioned someone to create a 5000x5000 sized terrain for my game. His asking price is R$20K. Now, I’m new to commissioning people for work, so I don’t know what the right price would be for this type of work. As of right now, he has been working on it for around 4 days now, and this is the supposed final product:

EDIT: This terrain is supposed to resemble a swamp. Kind of like Swamp Fever from Left 4 Dead 2.

Is this worth R$20K?

Another Edit: From the comments, it seems like this was put together with little effort. While you’re here, could you give me some opinions on this terrain? This is what I started before I commissioned someone else:

1 Like

Kinda worth 13 - 20K bobux. More detail is great but if that your budget it ok then.

the first image seems to just generated on the terrain editor

the second image just had a lot of duplicated trees with enabled decoration and just a simple lighting

it wouldnt gonna be worth 20k maybe its less than a thousand

7 Likes

Honestly, in my opinion I find it kind of expensive for a 5000x5000 sized terrain:

-The first image looks like its generated from the terrain editor.

-The second image pretty much is just trees and lighting, with decorations enabled.

Overall I’d say that 20k seems too much, it should be around 1000 robux.

1 Like

I originally only asked for the terrain, then he said he would do the trees for no extra cost. I intend on adding more to this as well. He is only building the foundation of the map.

1 Like

No, mans tryna scam you. He’s probably not even very experienced, I mean just look at the pictures. Get a better builder or just pay him like 1k. Not worth 20k, even if it is 5000x5000.

Well, that’s the thing. I don’t know the level of detail when it comes to terrain. All I know is that I have lots of trouble sculpting terrain, which is why I commissioned, and most of it, bad or good, looks the same to me haha.

If you can’t tell, you still have eyes so ask yourself: does it look crappy or good?

Like take the first image, for example, a 3 year old could tell its shitty and made with no effort.

I am also a little skeptical, because he asked me just to give him R$6.5K for something completely unrelated to the commission. That definitely flew a red flag which is why I’m here on the forum asking for a second opinion.

One more thing as well, should I tell people how much I have when talking about commissions, or should that matter stay private and they come up with their own price?

Well, I must be dumb then :joy:, I honestly don’t know why it looks bad. It looks natural to me to be honest. I appreciate your input though. I’m definitely gonna make sure I don’t get ripped off now lol

Yeah, red flags like that are enough on their own to not commission someone.

Please no. 1,000 is far too little.

2 Likes

Could you let me know of a proper price then?

I think 5000 would be a fair price.

It’s not really that high detailed. I dont do building, but that’s 100% not worth it.
2, is easy lighting tweaks. I could do it in a few mins and would probably only charge 50R$ for it, maybe 100R$

and #1 is legit the terrain editor with no lighting

i dont play fortnite nor like it, but it looks like the fortnite minimap imo :rofl:

2 Likes

If he did just use the terrain editor and place a couple trees in, I can just do that myself. I have some experience with terrain, but I figured someone else could make it better. I’m beginning to just steer in the direction of creating the terrain myself.

2 Likes

No.
The quality is very basic, therefore it shouldn’t take him a long time to make.
I would pay 3K for it max.

Would you like to learn together? I’m also trying to do terrain, I’m not doing super well rn but it’s urgent for the project. Maybe we can do some tests and terrain together :smiley:

1 Like

Sure, I wouldn’t mind! I’ll send you a message!

1 Like

Well, 5x5k is pretty large, but I’d price it looking at how much effort it would take to replicate.

The map itself you could just shuffle through seeds to find something similar; it doesn’t look sporadic like someone painting it manually, but it also doesn’t look polished enough like it was thought out objectively beforehand. It’s not a good overhead map imo, I’m not sure what gameplay you are applying to it, but it doesn’t look like it would serve well in a zombie game. Normally you’d draw it out for tactical purposes first, then fill in details later. Looks like that step was omitted.

Assuming they didn’t make the tree assets themselves, someone who’s familiar with terrain tools and lighting should be able to replicate this in under two hours. They said four, so, is R$5,000/hr worth it? That’s $17.50 an hour by DevEx rates.

1 Like