How do I know what "Aesthetic" to design in?

I’ve been designing clothing on Roblox for more than 6 months now, and I am currently having designer block. When I first started designing, I designed “aesthetic” and “vintage” clothes. I took a long break from designing after a few months because the type of clothing I was designing was very repetitive and wasn’t very rewarding. After my break, I started designing grunge/goth/emo designs, and was extremely motivated and I kept that up for a while. Recently, I tried designing “kawaii” clothing for a commission, and enjoyed it. I love the high amount of shading kawaii designs use and the complexity of the designs. However, my kawaii designs take a long time to design, and I’m not able to consistently upload to my group and other groups I work for. I also own a small clothing group with specifically goth/grunge designs, and I’m a bit conflicted because my group is doing pretty good, and I don’t want to make a new group for kawaii/soft designs and start from scratch.

So basically, I don’t know if I should pursue designing grunge or kawaii clothing, and I don’t want to be burnt out from designing.

Below, I have attached an image of one of my “grunge” designs and a “kawaii” design.
emokid
PINKKAWAII

I don’t know about you, but I feel like my softer designs are much more detailed, and I’m able to demonstrate my shading skills a lot more. However, they do take much longer to make.

If you have any advice for me, I’d appreciate it. Thank you so much for reading.

6 Likes

Softer ones are really good, but don’t forget to detail more in some places of clothes. You can add more folds somewhere and also fully detail lighting on clothes. Contour of shirt must be detailed too. I just hope it will help you some with your future designs!:))

1 Like

Thank you! I have trouble with shading dark clothes, and I’m kinda afraid to add highlights to them. I’ll definitely try to implement more shading/texture!

1 Like

Whatever you enjoy most. Your passion for designing will last longer if you design what YOU would want.

I created a topic here on other design tips like that, including help with burnout, groups, ads, etc.

Some tips for burnout I have right now, though, might be to create around 4 designs a week. Maybe more or less, but 4 is around the right amount for me.

Your clothing looks amazing, though! Keep it up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely be referring to your post, and I appreciate the feedback :smile:

1 Like

Just watch more things about shading. It will help!:slight_smile:

1 Like