How do I make a "Bodycam like footage" effect in Roblox?

Hello World!

I currently wanna know how to make, Bodycam like footage effects in Roblox. The distortion is really weird and hard to do. And I’ve done some research on Bodycams. And it turns out that the average FOVs of these can range from :

• 130 - 180

And I can’t seem to figure out on how to bypass the Roblox FOV limit. I maybe got the filters right. Other post processing parts or distortions of this camera, I don’t have it yet.

Things I have to do in the future :

• Lens Flares
  • Chromatic Abberation
  • Exposure control
  • Barrel Distortion
  • Lens Distortions
  • Screen Dust

These are the basic things I need for this. I know how to do the Exposure Control and Screen Dust effects. Just not the other ones.

Anyways, these are screenshots on what I want to achieve :

Screenshots

Thanks in Advance!

7 Likes

If you guys can, please help. Thanks again.

Using the glass material, you can get the lens distortion effect. By locking the camera CFrame to the torso. Then moving along the torso normal vector you can get the camera effect. But I think you would want to do this with the head instead so the arms line up like the in pictures.

I tried that. Didn’t really like the uhhh, that little spotlight part. Where it is just a pure white dot. Thanks for that though.

Also keep in mind mathematically there is no way to get more FOV than 180 DEG.

That’s true. Pretty sad. But I just need to get FOV higher than 120 for now.

I also think that’s how the barrel distortion is made in bodycam footage.

As far as im concerned, a lot of that is impossible to recreate in the roblox engine.

Lens Flares can be done, i think.

Chromatic Abberation cannot be done.

Exposure control. If what you mean by this is that when a person is indoors, the outside is a blinding white light, just raycast upwards and see if a part gets hit. If so, then change the bloom to be higher, or something like that.

Barrel Distortion Im not 100% sure what you mean by this, sorry.

Lens Distortions Another thing i dont understand, sorry again.

Screen Dust could easily be achieved with an ImageLabel. If you want it to react to light, unfortunately i cannot help you there. You could have multiple image labels, that seperately react to light, but again, i cannot help you with making them react to the light.

Bypassing the FOV limit is impossible, and if it is possible, it would probably only be a change that only your computer could see.

1 Like

That’s really sad, but also helpful. Thanks! It’s sad Roblox has so many limitations.

I know Chromatic Abberation is possible. I’m not sure how to go about doing it right now though.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen a forum post about it. I think it was like in a VHS filter thing or something…

I think by having two separate parts moving based on camera rotation it can be achieved. I have no good ideas yet how to go about this efficiently.

Do you guys also know a way to detect a light’s value?

Can you elaborate for me please?

Like a ray from the camera that detects how bright a light is?

Chromatic aberration is possible but I imagine it being very expensive since it would likely need you to utilize multiple viewport frames all with their own copies of everything you want affected. Here’s the author of that tweet explaining how.

Maybe get the nearest light source from the position the ray hits and get the light value from the light itself?

I’m also currently doing this for the camera exposure. Where it automatically adjusts the exposure.

I discovered that there is a property inside of Lighting called “Exposure Compensation Amount”. I think that can also help.

Change the “Reflectance” property of the glass lens to 0 Which remove the sun thing from what I know.

Nope, didn’t work. Thanks again though.

1 Like