How do I rotate an unanchored part/model around an offset axis?

At the simplest level, I’m trying to rotate a part around an offset axis from the center. It seems like even if I use an offset torque, angular velocity, or have a separate offset part with those constraints/body movers welded to the main, it seems to only want to rotate around the center of it all, or what I found, around the largest part.

UwPBIAZkhZ

If I extend the welded part so that it is the size of or bigger than the main part, then I can achieve what I’m looking for and technically have the main part rotate around an offset axis.

XYjY4S3mwX

The issue is, if I add more parts to the model, I’ll need to increase the size of the offset rotated part, else it’ll choose another axis. It’s not practical to have a big invisible part to be able to rotate the whole model at whatever axis location I want, so I wonder if anyone has any solutions.

Density and massless properties don’t seem to affect this, it seems like only size affects where the rotation is applied. Any help would be great.

1 Like

Correction: I added another part, and no matter how big I made the rotation part, it still chose the new part as an axis of rotation. Why?

iFghjm3KBP

1 Like

What are you using to rotate the Part(s)?
If you are CFraming then why?
If you make the Parts Unanchored and use the HingeConstraint to rotate them they will rotate around the HingeConstraint and where the 2 Attachments are in the Part(s) you have the HIngeConstraint attached to.
Make sure the other Attachment is in an Anchored Part.
Try this:
https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/articles/building-a-turning-platform

Bro did you even read the post?

I have the exact same problem and none of this is disclosed on their website. But for me it seems to rotate around the assembly’s CoM when the offset part is bigger. It doesn’t make any sense…

I did miss how they were rotating in the original post, but I was also asking why they were using this system. They didn’t explain so we’re both in the dark.
I was suggesting using a HingeConstraint since you can select the Attachment points and it’ll rotate around those without worrying about the object’s CoM.
Their pictures seem to show a HingeConstraint in the Part, but if the 2nd Attachment isn’t to another object (Anchored or not) then the HingeConstraint won’t do anything at all.