How do you export Terrain Textures Properly?

Hello fellow Devs and Designers,

I’m having trouble trying to get the Roblox Terrain Texture into Cinema 4D.
When I export the terrain and import it into Cinema 4D, it all turns out as a solid color.
Is there a method I could use to help me go around this problem?
Even if you use blender, I would love to hear how you do it, because I might move to blender.

In Roblox Studio:

After export and imported into Cinema 4D:

I didn’t get it to work in the end and I just ended up recreating the part of the map myself using landscapes and many different shapes in Cinema 4D.
(which took literal hours since I’m not the best builder)

1 Like

Do you have the texture in fbx format. Or obj format?

1 Like

I have the obj and the mtl format.

How do you export it in Fbx format?

This isn’t really an option. Unless there’s a plugin that can export objects from Studio in .FBX, the only option is .OBJ

@ OP, .obj (and mostly .fbx too) files don’t retain texture data. If you want the textures that Roblox uses, you’ll likely have to pull them from the Studio folder and break them apart since they’re in texture sheets:

I’m not familiar with how C4D handles different levels of maps, but it might work easier than I’m thinking?

If you’re making this for a render (which is what I’m assuming the purpose is?) I’d sooner make my own high detail textures (since Roblox’s textures are pretty low quality in terms of rendering) since the solution above could be a pain in the ass to work through.

2 Likes

So from what you’re saying, there isn’t much we can do to go around this issue besides creating the textures yourself due to the fact that when you export the file, it won’t retain the texture data.

Even with the textures in the studio folder, you can’t really replicate the terrain in-game right?

You could, just not very easily. The opportunity cost alone would be better spent making your own render-specific textures (if that’s your main goal) that could be much higher quality. Roblox terrain textures - while nice enough - are not nearly high enough quality for a decent render.

Roblox is a game engine, not a render engine :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Oh okay, thank you for helping. I’ll probably just create my own starting now.