How do you use a script to detect the resolution of the electronic you are using?

It says it all in the title, how do you detect screen size? Let’s say I was playing a game with a phone, and I wanted to know what the size of the phone is, how can I tell with a script? Or, is it possible to resize UI so it looks good on all platforms with constraints? I know I can use UI scale but I need to know the size of the screen first

6 Likes

The easiest way to do this (imo) is to use ScreenGui’s AbsoluteSize property.

Example Script

local size = ScreenGui.AbsoluteSize
local x = size.X
local y = size.Y

print("The user's screen size is", x, "by", y, "pixels.")
9 Likes

You could also use the property of the camera:

camera.ViewportSize

Current Vector2 size of the viewport.

4 Likes

But then, wouldn’t the UI look different on different devices? eg. a rectangular one on computer would look square on ipad. Assuming we are using percents

A ScreenGui object does not have a configurable size. It’s AbsoluteSize value returns exactly how big the screen is (in pixels)

You could mess around with UI Constraints to create proper minimum and maximum sizes for each UI element.

This is my problem @C_Sharper @ElliottLMz:

These are the properties of the uisize constraint:
Capture

This issue isn’t what you described in your title.
Nethertheless:

Use the offset property, this defines the exact pixels of the element’s size, whereas scale is the % of the screen the element will be sized.

frame.Position = UDim2.new(1,-frame.AbsoluteSize.X,0,0)
2 Likes

It is, I need the ui to be a size retaliative to the screen size, and I didn’t know how to detect screen size.

frame:GetPropertyChangedSignal("AbsoluteSize"):Connect(function(newSize)
    frame.Position = UDim2.new(1,-newSize.X,0,0)
end)
6 Likes