How many studs is there in a meter

I was recently trying out some things and I’d really love to know how much one meter is in studs. This would be a great help to my reference building.

I’d love some verification on your comment too. Such as a reliable source of some kind.

59 Likes

The default Roblox character model does not follow standard human proportions, so figuring out scale can be tricky at first glance. It is recommended to start with the vertical size of objects with the height of the character. Then, adjust the horizontal size to balance realism while still accommodating the width of the character. For default sized Roblox characters, 1 stud should be treated as 30 centimeters.

Wiki VR best practices article

Based on that metric, there are 3 and 1/3 studs in a meter at default character scale.

18 Likes

According to the ROBLOX Blog, 1 meter is equal to 20 ROBLOX studs, so a stud is 5 centimeters, and a real-life ROBLOXian (that is 5 studs tall) would be 25 centimeters, about 10 inches tall.

(Taken off of the Roblox wikia)

17 Likes

Strange, that exact quote is found on reddit, the wikia, various models and forum posts, but i can’t find a single official source that confirms it.

9 Likes

On the wikia there’s a hyperlink linking to the blog

5 Likes

That’s not very helpful when you’re trying to build human-scaled things that fit with the proportions of the default character (such as buildings or cars). The wiki article that @Kiansjet linked is much more useful in that regard and fits pretty closely with the unofficial scale I used in the past of 1 stud = 35 centimeters.

6 Likes

I typically use 1 Stud = 1 Foot
or 1 Stud = 0.3 Meters

As that puts the character at 5 feet tall (1.5m) which is kinda how I would envision them to be like. Along with this I will almost always will change workspace gravity to 32.2 for realistic gravity.

17 Likes

The default gravitational acceleration (196.2 studs/sec^2) would suggest that there are 20 studs in a meter, as it is precisely 20 times the gravitational acceleration on Earth’s surface in meters/sec^2.

16 Likes

Yes, the blog, but it’s the home page which doesn’t help me a lot.

4 Likes

Here’s a relevant blog post:

https://blog.roblox.com/2012/06/testing-the-accuracy-of-roblox-physics-with-potato-cannons/

I think there may be an even older post discussing the size, but I’m not sure.

2 Likes

Thanks, i was looking for this!

3 Likes

Inb4 game theory on robloxian height

Speaking of which, wasn’t there a GDC video where they had a camera imitating a robloxian, at like 50 centimetres?

4 Likes

Gravity in roblox is 196.2 studs/s^2 (print(workspace.Gravity)
Gravity on earth is ~9.81 meters/s^2

(196.2 * stud/s^2) / (9.81 * meter/s^2) = 20*stud/meter

That is where the widely quoted 20 studs/meter come from.

8 Likes

What scale you use is dependent on what you are doing.

1 stud = 1 foot and 1 stud = 0.3 meters are very close in scale (a 2% difference) which matches the character’s height pretty well, but does not match the character’s width. Most things on roblox are built to a variable scale that’s larger than that to accomodate robloxians’ proportions. An alternative scale that fits with the robloxian’s width and possibly forward-compatible with Anthro characters is 1 foot = 1.36 studs / 1 meter = 4.46 studs. These factors are calculated by comparing the gauge of standard gauge railroad tracks (4’8.5" / 1435 mm) with 6.4 studs - the gauge of the newest most popular train track size, ‘TwinRail’ or ‘NewNXT’ track.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure characters were originally supposed to be the size of Lego figures (due to studs, Welcome to Roblox Building etc). Not sure if this has changed since Roblox has advanced a lot.

2 Likes

if they still are based on size of lego figures then i guess it would be best to size things based off lego’s scaled stuff than real life stuff… but i am guessing roblox has changed it since advancing, but not sure what the official scale is due to no one can agree and i found R6 is lighter than R15 so you also move get to a certain momentum faster if being R15 so it isn’t really built to be any agreeable scale.

2 Likes

There was a blog post made in 2012 stating that
1 meter is equal to 20 Roblox studs

4 Likes

@0xBAADF00D Do we have an official metric? This seems to be all over the place at this point.

3 Likes

It isn’t consistent across different contexts. In VR, 1 meter is 3 studs. But for gravity, 1 meter is 20 studs; that is, if you consider Roblox’s gravity to be consistent with real life; I’m not sure it really is.

5 Likes

Gravity is the only relevant metric, everything else is relative due to the different perspectives.
Some ants for example can run just as fast as a cheetah relative to its bodysize but in absolute terms it is obviously slower.
Gravity on the other hand affects both animals exactly the same but from the perspective of the ant it affects it many times more than the cheetah, and an ant jumping up its body height will reach the ground much sooner than a cheetah jumping up its bodyheight.

Now you jump in the air and compare the time it takes for you to touch the ground again compared to the time the ingame character takes to do just the same and it is pretty much the same deal as with the ant vs the cheetah example except that I don’t think you can jump several times your body height like the default roblox character.
That is why 20 studs = 1 meter assuming that default ingame gravity = earth gravity.
It is of course just as correct to assume that 1 meter = 3 studs in which case we are playing human-sized characters on a planet with 2.6 times the surface gravity of Jupiter.

8 Likes