How much tris does it take for Roblox games to lag? [ANSWER]

I’ve always had this question how much tris would it take to lag Roblox?

Limitations:
My PC specs may be high.

The collissions are disabled, collissions disabled does remove tons of lag in an object with a lot of tris.
The parts used in this experiment is just one.

Abstract:
This is an experimentation that determines how much tris does it take for Roblox to lag.

Content:

The sphere on this experiment has: 9,856 tris

How many spheres are used in this experiment:

Result on PC:
(Roblox Studio)

(Roblox Player)

Conclusions:
It does not seem to lag with 9,899 parts with an exact 97,564,544 tris at all (for a high-end PC, that is)! Of course, this still has a lot of problems not discussed but please add in things such as mobile testing and other more tests that can be done.

Of course, a high-end PC like mine can render this much without any problems at all. But if we only take the 10% of the exact tris we have in total here then we’ll be left at approximately 10M tris still and I believe that’d be a good maximum limit for all games as the 10% of what my high-end PC can render, can indicate even any old PC.

A mobile test was done and it’s completely laggy even with high-end mobile! All results that are given by the community is in here below, please check them out!

Include [Device Name / RAM / CPU / GPU / FPS] to support your datas.

Try it yourself!

(Roblox)

(Roblox Studio)
TestingTris.rbxl (171.5 KB)

Other questions by the community:

“No matter how many times you spam the same model, Roblox will not lag. There’s this thing in the Engine called Instancing which essentially boils down to “it saves the model in memory once and applies it to all locations and rotations”. If you spammed multiple very tri heavy models, I believe that it would at one point hit the lag threshold.” - ItsKoiske

To answer this question, while it saves the memory for all the meshes here as we only use 1 mesh. It does not mean the render time it takes would be the same. If this logic above that ‘ItsKoiske’ mentioned then that would mean that we can just spam any similar mesh which would be useful for effects making. However that is not the case as we can see below that there’s multiple players who are still lagging, which tells enough and I can also confidently say from experience that it gives lag.

8 Likes

Now you should try it on an Iphone 7 and maybe then you’ll see a difference
Benchmarking with a top tier PC is like asking Usain Bolt to race against kids and then ask “why are they so slow, we’re all humans so we should have the same speed” :joy::joy::joy:

You should add a table at the end of your post that looks like (for people that will respond to this post with their own performance stats)
Device Name / RAM / CPU / GPU / FPS

Will do it later too on my phone if i remember :crossed_fingers:
This post would be pretty OP if we could get results from a lot of different devices

These are the results from my PC (results vary a lot depending on where you look on the map, there are probably a ton more parts in one direction than in others) (picked the direction with the worst results)

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: 16GB 3200mhz
GPU: RX 590 Nitro+
Running on a 2k 32" monitor so resolution also plays a big role in this

4 Likes

For consistency’s sake, you should place all the balls in a single long line instead of scattering them all around the map. That way everyone can have the same results (well not results but you know what i mean, can’t think of a better synonym for this word atm lol)

Data gathered from mobile:

Phone used: ROG Phone 5s PRO

Results:
Terrible result, causing my FPS to drop at around 10 FPS. The lag is also extensive on the other side.

1 Like

No matter how many times you spam the same model, Roblox will not lag. There’s this thing in the Engine called Instancing which essentially boils down to “it saves the model in memory once and applies it to all locations and rotations”. If you spammed multiple very tri heavy models, I believe that it would at one point hit the lag threshold.

Edit:
Seriously… don’t expect to lag with memory consistently hovering around 500MB

2 Likes

Intel i9-11900k (not overclocked), 64 GB 2500 RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Running my studio in the background as well

These results surprise me, as I have experienced lag on much smaller games. It is possible that lag can also be experienced much worse when playing on games with large amounts of unoptimized scripts and unoptimized meshes.

1 Like

Max graphics (I tried to look at the most balls at once).

iPhone
4GB RAM
Hexa-core (2x3.23 GHz Avalanche + 4x1.82 GHz Blizzard)
Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
8 FPS

video
.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PC Specs;
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X 6 core
RAM: 8GB 2667 MHz - single stick
GPU: AMD Radeon 6600 8GB VRAM
with an fps unlcoker around 120 fps, compared to usual 500+ fps in a pure baseplate
.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy S7 - 8GB RAM
alright frames, iffy in some spots, fine in others, max settings
Phone: Samsung A32 5G
Recorder kept crashing, but to sum it up, the same as my tablet, but at lowest settings - phone can run Jailbreak at max

Do want to note the video isnt the true resolution, the native Windows editor is bad :skull:

Yes! I shall include these in the limitations, I was not sure if Roblox does this when I posted this but now I know. The results are also way different on mid-end and low-end devices as such, they are unable to handle this much of tris.

Joined from my Fire tablet and had no issues. The only thing I can see being an issue in this case is your internet connection :thinking:

How much FPS there is ingame, entirely depends on what hardware the device is running on. I also got a beast of a computer, but in the end, it does just depend on the system specs

This blew away my Windows 8 Computer which is from 2013-2014 I think. It runs perfectly fine on other games. But my computer said no to this one.

This was at low graphics btw. (1)

I guess there’s no need for me to post my results as we essentially have the same specs (64GB RAM, RTX 3090 FE), with the exception of the CPU. I have a Ryzen 9, you have an i9.

CPU: Intel Xeon X5690 3.47 GHZ
RAM: 12 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti

FPS: Average/Okay 20-30

After I joined the game, I’m just glad that the collision was not enabled. And now, you can imagine my laptop performance :sweat:

was testing it out on a 15 GB ram with a GTX 970
kept getting lag spikes to 40 fps then back up to 70

Memory has zero impact on fps loss. The amount of time it takes to render is what causes your FPS to go down.

1 Like
My PC

Roblox Player

Roblox Studio

My Phone

My PC Specs
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
16GB (8GBx2)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB

My Phone
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G

Everything was ran on max graphics.

ryzen 5 5600h
rtx 3050
16 gb ram

nothinf running in the background

Windows 11 Pro
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
16GB RAM

Mild lag, might not even be considered lag. For some reason the screenshot isn’t uploading.