How should I go about creating realistic terrain?

In particular, I want to create this kind of terrain:

Roblox’s innate terrain generation tool seems to allow no form of input from the user as to how they want the terrain to look, other than inputting a seed, determining the size of the generation and picking from a list of biomes. I decided i’d try and make some terrain in blender:

Unfortunately, I have found no way of converting this to roblox terrain via plugins, so I attempted to sculpt over it using roblox’s terrain tools:

Roblox’s terrain tools do not recognize meshes as something they can build upon, so i was left to try and build up to the mesh from the ground. Attempting to build the terrain in this manner is very tedious, and I fear the end result will be underwhelming.

Does anyone have any good methods of doing this? So far, I have considered:

• scrapping my mesh and terrain plans, and blindly attempting a generation from the terrain generator. This will probably produce some unappealing terrain, and also terrain that is nothing like the image above

• Making the entire map exclusively out of meshes. This will require a subdivision of the terrain into hundreds, maybe thousands of mesh pieces in order to conform with size and triangle count constraints. This method may also not benefit from Roblox’s innate terrain chunk loading system (though I’m not sure if I’m going to use it anyways). Roblox also snaps down the collision fidelity, which would result in the entire map having rough collisions. This could be remedied by disabling their collisions and then going over the entire map with parts, but this would be tedious and would tank the game’s performance. This idea is not ideal.

• Continuing as I am now, trying to make this terrain by hand with Roblox’s terrain tools. This could potentially consume a massive amount of time, and may produce some awkward looking results due to every detail being done by hand. I am not confident that I could make the terrain look natural using this method

1 Like

Ur In luck It turns out I am a environmental artist if you want to achieve Total realism using Roblox all of a sudden poly haven and meshes will be your best friend due to the fact that having realistic texture is hand made

For some example

This I yoinked it from my studios

Here’s an example conversion script that you can use that I created for my procedurally generated terrain. The script first creates terrain by creating triangles, then converts those triangles using the script below. Hopefully this was what you were looking for.

--====================
--	// Convert all the created triangluar terrain into actual terrain //..
--====================

function TerrainService:ConvertToTerrain()
    for _, convertMesh : MeshPart in next, workspace.MeshParts:GetChildren() :: Folder do
        if (convertMesh:IsA("MeshPart")) then
            local fillMaterial = Enum.Material.Snow
            workspace.Terrain:FillWedge(convertMesh.CFrame, convertMesh.Size + Vector3.new(5, 0, 5), fillMaterial or  Enum.Material.Grass --[[ Incase fill material wasn't defined]])
        end
    end
end

1 Like

Hey, there is a great plugin that does this with a ton of customization.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.