How should I layout my city blocks?

To those who are reading this, I am kind of new to the dev forum and have done a bit of building for the past year. I am building a city, with each city (square) block being 256 studs long. Should I only put one building per block or add more?

One building per block allows more space and decoration but seems empty to me.

On the other hand, four buildings per block seem like a real city but limits my building space.

If you feel like 1 is too little, and 4 is too much then go with something in the middle.

Also, assuming you aren’t cloning the same block then add variation, one block has two, another has three, and so on. I agree that one building it too much for 256 studs as the players character would seem like an ant.

Good luck!

2 Likes

A variety would probably make it look most like a real city. Some buildings span multiple lots and others are small or even stacked on top of each other.

In a lot of cases, it’s going to depend on the city. New York is built up rather than out, and cities like Phoenix are built out rather than up.

4 Likes

Well, I live in New York, so I am used to seeing an organized grid filled with many skyscrapers squeezed together.

3 Likes

Citys can be very difficult to plan out, and heavily rely on the mechanics and the type of game your city will be a part of.

For instance, for Power Simulator, the cities I made are pretty compact and small, but still feels like a city

Looking at the entire map, the two cities only take up around 1/6th of the total playable area. The roads are visually “present” but not functional because there aren’t any cars in the game.

If you have cars, this can greatly increase the complexity of the map, even more so if the player can drive those cars because now you have to think about how roads lead players into areas. Take the same Power Simulator map and pretend you’re driving a car. I made it so that there was a bit of a “circuit” to the roads, but there’s mostly dead ends that - while useful for a player that’s running or flying (the main waits of movement in the game) - isn’t great for someone who has to park a car, or constantly be 3-point turning, or driving around the same circuit until it’s boring.

Basically, know what you’re using this city for, how players will be moving about this city, and plan accordingly.

11 Likes

I have decided over several days to now use rectangular shaped city blocks that are 256 x 128. This still allows me to build detailed buildings and reduces the size to make it look realistic. I was also inspired on other developer’s builds, such as Aotrou’s city for Power Simulator. Thank you all for the feedback!

1 Like