How to (actually) make a popular game

Good evening developers!

Today I would like to give some advice on how to maximize your chances of making an actual successful game. I’m not going to show you a magical formula that will make any game get to the front page, but I will show you how to play your cards right, so you have a much higher chance of getting at least a few hundred players.

The basics

Roblox has said officially many times that they only really care about three metrics, the three pillars of the algorithm:

• 1. Engagement
  • 2. CTR
  • 3. Marketing

Dominating these 3 factors will exponentially increase your chances of becoming a successful developer.

Important!

I would like to mention that when tracking metrics such as playtime or CTR, it’s vital to have in mind that in order to get reliable data you’ll need to have at least a few thousand daily visits.

Engagement

This metric is the hardest to optimize for, so in order to make it easier to understand I’m going to divide it in two sections:

Playtime

Playtime represents how much time players spend on your game, and it might just be the most important metric of them all.

The algorithm of Roblox works pretty similarly to the algorithm of YouTube, because it wants users to spend as much time as possible playing, since that usually leads to higher revenue.

I have seen a thousand post about how to optimize playtime with cool tricks, but in reality, the best way to optimize playtime is to simply care a lot about it. If you focus a lot on why players could leave and what makes your game boring you’ll end up with a good playtime.

Quick tip: You can use Rolimons to see the playtime of popular games

Speaking of which, What is a good number for playtime? Well it’s kinda off hard to tell, but if you want to get a rough estimate, here’s some some averages:

• Less than 5 min - Really bad.
  • 5-7 min - Average, it’s decent.
  • 7-9 min - Good.
  • 9-15 min - Excellent.
  • More than 15 min - Crazy good.

Again, this is just to give you a general idea.

Retention

Retention represents how many of the players keep coming back for more.

While there are a bunch of little tricks like daily rewards that do help a lot, the main thing to keep in mind is that retention drops when players get tired of doing the same thing.

In order to optimize for retention you simply have to make sure that your game is very replayable.
While this can be achieved in many ways(Achievements, badges, timers for speed runs, difficulties, rebirths…), if your core loop isn’t replayable enough, you simply can’t get a good retention, and a good core loop should lead to a good retention by itself.

CTR

CTR stands for Click Through Rate(Clicks/Impressions), and it pretty much represents how good your icon and thumbnails are.

In order to get crazy good CTRs it’s crucial to understand that interesting ideas create interesting icons.

A good game idea, if it’s managed correctly, can be turned into a great icon very easily, while a very dull/generic title and game idea will be really hard to market.

Screenshot_2024-08-13-00-03-01-94_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7

A game idea like rainbow friends leaves the creators with a million different ways of creating a good packaging.

Since the characters are very eye catching and the game name is pretty intriguing, the developers really didn’t have to do anything crazy smart to get a great CTR.

Marketing

Originally I was going to talk about monetization as the third pillar, but researching more I realised that most developers get monetisation well enough, but almost none get advertising and social media right.

So let’s get the elephant out of the room, Should you do advertising or social media?
Well at least what I found from my research is that advertising is better for the release, and social media can play a role in the long run.

The problem with social media

Here’s what most people don’t realise: Social media almost never picks up, unless your game looks incredibly interesting on a 30s clip, which 99% of games don’t do, social media is likely not going to lead to any results.
It’s also not really sustainable, not every developer can become an influencer.

Contacting youtubers is also usually a big waste of time in the release.

You need to get the most amount of good data and metrics(Which I talk about before) early, since after the first 10-25 days of the game release roblox will decide how much a game will get promoted, and youtubers will only lead to a big spike of players at a certain day, and then go to a very low count or 0, so good data for one day or two and bad data for the rest, not good.

So what I have found most efficient is advertising, it’s not perfect but it’s the best we’ve got.

If your going to sponsor, make sure to do so with at least 10,000R$ distributed slowly over 10-15 days, and then if your game is good enough the algorithm should pick up the game by itself.

Apart from that all I can tell you is to do two things:

• 1. Use the right ad campaign settings: make sure that max bid is set to whatever works best, at least at the moment of writing this a low max bid seems to be the best(0.02), at the end Roblox refunds you if it can’t spend the campaign budget, and there aren’t enough people using the ad system to need to bid more.

• 2. Experiment: In the first three days of release make sure to advertise for a bit more, so you can get data on which device and age group enjoys more your game, and then sponsor towards that target audience specifically. Also, make sure to sponsor in intervals of 2-4 days, if by the 5-7th day you’re still getting bad metrics, it might be time to abandon the project.

Anyways that’s pretty much it!
Make sure to tell me if you liked the post or found anything wrong.
Also let me know if you’ll like to see a more detailed explanation on each pillar.
Have a nice day!

37 Likes

thanks! i was making an indie parkour game

4 Likes

Hopefully this helps make your game have a higher chance of blowing up :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for this awesome resource, however I have a game that has about 5 - 20 CCU and I have a Content Creator with 400k Subs that posts mainly shorts content, The Content Creator has done about 2 - 4 shorts about the game and a livestream, It did make the game spike in players for about a solid day then it dipped like you said.

The game has been up for about 3 weeks, and I haven’t sponsored it yet, not a single time. Is it too late to sponsor?

3 Likes

Is it too late to sponsor?

Maybe? I specifically said the first 20 days because it’s better to do things well from release, but if you’ve got a budget, it’s definitely worth trying, if you get around 20 days of data anyways Roblox is likely going to push your game, it’s simply easier to do it at release.
There are a bunch of games that failed horribly at lunch, and then when they fixed the main issues, and the game reached 10-20 days of good data Roblox pick them up.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying, and yeah I have what I think is a solid budget of 12k Robux. If I have been told this sooner man… Thanks again, I’ll make sure to take your advice.

1 Like

Don’t worry you’ve still got time, a 12k advertising budget is pretty good, but make sure to test well if your game gets good metrics, if it keeps getting bad data it might be time to abandon the ship, it’s hard to do but sometimes it’s the right choice.

1 Like

I see, understood. Thanks again!

1 Like

I know this is kind of unrelated but are we able to spend Robux on Ads Manager? The only options im able to use is my card and I only want to spend my robux balance on ads

ohhh my lord i just found out i can add robux ad credit as a payment method the whole time i’ve just been devexing robux for ads

1 Like

do you mean 10k robux every day or over the 10-15 days ?

1 Like

Over the entire period :skull:
I mean if you’ve got a big budget and are willing to spend it would help.

1 Like

you may have a good game and an amazing icon and thumbnail but the problem is that is no one see your game

how i can solve this problem ?
this may be the biggest problem for new devs

i can show you my icon and thumbnail and tell if they are good or not

Well in order to actually get exposure you need to advertise, like I said in the post social media isn’t very effective, and the best way to get people to start playing your game is advertising, if you haven’t got money you can always do commissions.

1 Like

can you help me to create an effective ad ?
i do not want to waste my money i want the ad to be effective and help my game gain more players

what is the best settings and budget for a game that is have 0 players ?

also the game has released from more than a year !
it is a big game and i have been working to improve it i add a bunch of content and fixed many issues do you think it is too late ?

1 Like

It’s is never too late!
So first off the minimum budget for advertising is 10-15k robux, and ideally it should be spent slowly over the entire period, make sure to put max bid on 0.01.

Apart from that make sure not set the entire ad campaign in one day, first do 3-4 days, and if the game keeps getting bad metrics it might be time to let it die. If the game got good data though, sponsor to the age and device that got the best playtime, CTR and so on.

3 Likes

ohh thanks you so much !

i have a small question in the 3 - 4 days how much should i spend ?

and what about updating the game with new stuff then advertise it ?
can this make any differences ?

for me 10k is expensive but i am gonna try to get that much of robux

and here is may icon and thumbnail is they are good or not ?

i do not want to waste my money
can you help me because iam planning to sponsor it very soon.

1 Like

So in the first day spend the same as in the other ones, the first day trial is just about getting a ideal target audience to advertise to, and also not wasting too many robux on a game with bad retention.
The icon looks ok, if I was you I would try using more vibrant colours since most players use black theme, and there the icon doesn’t really stand out, try different stuff and see what stands out the most(Without looking like its a cash grab)

1 Like

like 1k every day for 10 days ?

the icon is alright but i should make it with bright colors like more red instead of black and red ?

and thank you so much for your responding