How to animate any model AND also play it in-game [Outdated tutorial]

Yo wassup, here is a tutorial on how to animate literally any model in Roblox Studio and also play it in game. I suggest that you read it once and then follow the tutorial. Strap in because it’s gonna be a long ride, les go

Recources

Moon Animator
Rig Editor

Step 1: Get your model

I made a very ugly looking model for this tutorial but it’s pretty complex so I can proof that u can animate any model.
I want the board to spin around while the cogwheels spin on the board.

Step 2: Adding a Humanoid and a HumanoidRootPart

This step is completely optional, If you don’t want the animation to be able to play In-game, you can skip this step.
Let’s get to buisness.

• Choose a part that you think would be a good PrimaryPart for your model.
  • Duplicate that part, make it invisible(or slightly transparent, doesn’t really matter).
  • Rename it to “HumanoidRootPart”
  • Anchor the HumanoidRootPart. The rest of the model has to be unanchored.
  • Make the HumanoidRootPart the PrimaryPart of the Model (this isn’t showed in the video, sorry)

Example Video

Now you can insert a Humanoid into your model. As you can see the RootPart is automatically set to the HumanoidRootPart we just created.

Example Video

Well done, now we can move on.

Step 3: Rigging up your model

Alright so now we need to rig it so we can actually animate it. For this we’re gonna use Moon Animator, then we’ll edit the position of the joints to where we want them to be. Sounds good? Well it doesn’t matter you’ll have to do it anyway lol
Rigging is pretty hard to explain, so if you don’t understand after following this tutorial, I recommend you watch a tutorial on YouTube. I linked one later in this tutorial

Basic steps to start rigging

1. Choose a base part, moving this part will move the rest of the model when animating. Open Easy Weld from the Moon Animator plugin and go to the “Parts” section. Select the HumanoidRootPart. Hold down Ctrl on your keyboard and select your base part. Make sure Animatable is checked and press Join in place.

Example Video

1. Now we’re gonna weld all the parts that we want attached to our base part. This is basically the same process as number 1, but this time we’re selecting multiple parts at a time and also unchecking the Animatable box.

Example Video

1. Ok cool but I also want some specific parts to be animatable in my model. So let’s do that.
    Same thing as number 2 but this time we check the Animatable box. Also make sure that every part that you want to be animatable has a unique name. It’s easier for you and the plugin.

Example Video

1. From here we branch off until our whole model is rigged. As I said it’s really hard to explain rigging with just text. I’ll link some rigging tutorials underneath this paragraph for you to watch.

Rigging tutorial
I know he uses a different plugin but they both do the same thing so it doesn’t matter…

Step 4: Moving the joints

We have all the welds and joints we need, but sometimes they aren’t in the right spot. So we have to move them.

Example Video

Now press Edit Joints. You can move the joints to your desired location. Think of joints as pivot points. The joint for your arm is located at your shoulder. Therefor when you move your arm up and down, it rotates around your shoulder.

Example Video

When you’re done moving around the joints, press Commit changes. You can exit Rig Editor now.

Step 5: Making your Animation

Alright. Now that your rig is ready for animation, let’s open up Moon Animator and add our rig.

Example Video

Congratulations for getting this far! You’re doing great. Now it’s up to you to make your animation. I’m not gonna explain the whole Moon Animator plugin, here is a tutorial on the basics.

Moon Animator Tutorial

Ok nice so if u don’t want it to be playable in-game then uhhh… congratulations ur done I guess.
For people who want it to play In-Game, yeah you’re stuck up with me for a little longer.

Anyway, what we need to do is export our animation and save it to roblox. This gives our animation it’s own ID. Make sure to copy that ID. Also if you want the animation to be looped then press NumPad 8 while in Moon Animator and check the Looped Box. I’m gonna tick this cuz I want mine to be looped.

Example Video 1
Example Video 2

Step 6: Making it play In-Game

Some of you guys can maybe do it yourselfves from here on out but I’ll make a little guide on how to actually play the animation.

1. Insert an Animation object into your model.
  2. paste the ID into the AnimationId property of the Animation.
  3. Put a script inside the model
  4. write something along the lines of this:
--//this is just an example of how you could play the animation.
local Model = script.Parent
local Animation = Model.Humanoid:LoadAnimation(Model.Animation)
local function PlayAnim()
Animation:Play()
end --// Call this function however u want

This is my final Result:
Yooooo final result link?!
Also here’s the game link, it’s kinda like a museum type game where I show off some cool animations I make every now and then…
VTB’s Animation Hub

That’s it for this tutorial. I really hoped this helped some of you guys…

If you have any problems with following this tutorial then don’t be scared to reply, I will try my best to help you out and it can also be some good feedback for me to (perhaps) make better tutorials. Thank you!

Have a very nice life,
Very_TB

67 Likes

Hey there, I am aware it’s been a year go now but it appears that your video files are no longer accessible because something happened to the host.

Oh and I thought I might add but none of the animations in your game (VTB’s Animation Hub) work.
In addition, I got it to work somewhat by following this tutorial however when the animation finishes the door flashes back to a closed state in an instant and the exact opposite for if the door closes.

Please update this so people can use the video tutorials that you’ve posted.
Thanks! :grin:

4 Likes

Hi Mark!

I am aware of this, and I do plan on remaking this tutorial somewhere in the future. Only next time I’ll be using YouTube and other programs such as Blender. Over the last year, this tutorial has gotten far more attention than I expected and now I kinda feel bad because it isn’t very high quality :sweat_smile:

Along with the next tutorial, I will be fixing the animation hub too. I’ll also try and come up with a solution for the animation snapping back to the initial position. I have exams at the moment so I can’t really start working on it right now…

Many thanks for the feedback!
~Gulez

3 Likes

Issue with moon animator. as of 2/1/2023, it costs 800 robux to buy the moon animator. I’m not paying that much robux so I can make my model spin. Do you have alternatives?

1 Like

You can always add a humanoid to your model and animate it with the built in roblox animator.

It’s a shame really because moon editor used to be free, and also the reason to why a lot of people have it. But i suppose they need to make profit somehow too.

1 Like

he made it 800 robux so he can pay his editors

if he didn’t make it 800 robux, then how can he make robux to pay his editors

1 Like

Hello, Do you know if there’s a video-tutorial? Cause i’m very confused.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know about this… It’s really sad to see that it’s 800 robux now :frowning: I quit developing on Roblox but I’d be willing to make a new and updated tutorial since so many people found It helpful. I’ll try searching for alternatives (maybe blender or another third-party program) because the built-in Roblox animator is very limited… (sorry Roblox)

2 Likes

You could try to make a tutorial on how to animate such things with the native editor as everyone gets access to it by default, not to mention that it’s free.

It does have quite the steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty easy and straight forward to use.

There are a few differences between moon editor and the default animation editor however you can easily fix those problems.

TL;DR: Play around a bit with the native editor and make a tutorial based around it :slight_smile: