How to create a day longer than a night?

Currently, in Roblox, the day and night cycle have the same length in Roblox, ie, 12 hours for the day and 12 hours for the night.

In real life, however, depending on the season and geographical location, a day can last, for example, 14 hours and the night can only last 10 hours. The difference can be even greater, the closer to the poles of the earth.

How can I make the nights shorter than the day, as is usually the case, depending on geographic location and time within the year?

2 Likes

Increment time forwards during “day” slower than you increment down it during “night”.

For a more continuous approach use some interpolation function that speeds up and slows down, similar to sine interpolation.

Not sure why you would want to implement this. If any user’s actually notice a difference in the day time compared to night time, they are in the very small minority that do.

1 Like

This will create an unreal effect of the moon passing faster across the sky at night as if the planet earth rotates accelerated at night and decelerated by day…

Some games currently have the day lasting, for example, 45 minutes (real game time) while the night only lasts 5 minutes.
This is because many players like to have more activities during the day and don’t want to stay too long at night.

Minecraft implements a longer days to nights system. The noticability will largely depend on how drastic the difference is.

1 Like

Look, I know how to do this if you want help with this, just contact me at Discord. I’m Brazilian just like you, so it’s easier for us to understand each other better.

My discord: Anjiro#2309

Thanks.
There are some ready solutions like How do I make nights longer than days in Day night cycle - #6 by GorillaWeb

But as I said, this will create an unreal effect of the moon passing faster across the sky at night as if the planet earth rotates accelerated at night and decelerated by day…

You could likely find a good balance between SunAngularSize and MoonAngularSize so that even though nights are quicker the moon appears to be moving at the same speed (because it’s considerably smaller).

1 Like