How to create unique skyboxes with AI

In general the marketplace is very lacking in the way of high quality skyboxes that aren’t either stolen or scans/photos. Using Blockade Labs’ Skybox Lab you can create cool unique skyboxes specifically for your game.

(The skybox has a 360 view that goes in all directions)

Generating a skybox is pretty simple, just go to the website, enter prompts until you get a skybox you like, and then download the skybox. You don’t need an account and the service is completely free for now. Update: It now has a rate limit of 5 without an account.

The website uses the more standard HDRI format instead of Roblox’s format, so to use the skybox you’ll need to follow the tutorial below to convert it:

Above is an HDRI sky. Roblox uses a 6 piece cube skybox, so you’ll need to convert the format.

Edit: Before you can upload the image to the converter you need to rename the file from “.jpeg” to “.jpg”. The two file types are the same but the converter only recognizes “.jpg”.

I hope some people find this new tool interesting! I think the skyboxes are pretty good and have some potential for games with interesting art styles.

If you create any interesting skyboxes feel free to post them below!

I made a quick game where you can check out the quality of the skyboxes. They’re actually surprisingly high quality.

31 Likes

This is pretty good actually, after some attempts (over 20 as i wanted a space image that i liked) i got these skyboxes:

Note: they may look weird as they are in HDRI format however i kept it like that for these images but in-game (roblox) it looks VERY GOOD

5 Likes

yooooo, this is really cool!!!

1 Like

i might use this in the future lol

Processing: realistic_horror_scary_sky_realistic.jpg…

1 Like

Wanted to add, skybox.blockadelabs.com has some limits for both subscribers and non-subscribers with through download or generation.

I found another website that produces very similar results with prompt refinements and it’s all FREE.

1 Like