How to get legacy outlines back

I am working on a 2014-2017 style game, and want to have outlines, to make it look like it’s actually from 2014-2017.
Since they removed outlines completely in 2020, for whatever reasons, I can’t just simply enable them.

I have tried enabling them with scripts, but since they actually deleted the files for the outlines themselves, that didn’t work. I can’t use decals/blocks because of block sizing. I can’t use selection boxes because of distancing.

Are there any other ways I can accurately restore outlines?

5 Likes

Can you further explain, through maybe a screenshot, what you mean with “legacy outlines”?

1 Like

He’s talking about this:

1 Like

CrazyAlternetive provided an image.

It’s an old feature from around 2009 (I think) that got deprecated in 2019, and then fully removed in 2020.
There are no existing features that are able to recreate this (I honestly don’t know why they removed it since it takes more work and time to delete it than to just make it default to disabled)

Anyway, I really prefer having this in games, and just wanted to know how to recreate it as accurately as humanly possible.

2 Likes

you can try using Selection Boxes or Highlights, changing a few properties to get the thin and desired edges.

1 Like

This looks similar, using a lot will more than likely have a noticeable performance hit

2 Likes

It looks similar but the problem is that it has to be changed depending on the colour, and it will look like a cartoon from far away enough (not that far).

I guess if this is the closest thing then it’s all I’ve got. Thanks anyway.

I hope they re-add the legacy feature back, seeing as their reason for ‘performance hits and improved GPU’ doesn’t really excuse fully removing a feature, instead of just defaulting it to off. Roblox never makes sense with these updates.

1 Like

Was just looking for a solution for the same thing and really do hope that there is some sort of way to reenable this legacy feature, I actually really liked it!

Have you found anything that would be a suitable alternative? I am not wanting to use too many selection boxes for the potential gameplay impact.

2 Likes

I am so sorry for bumping up this thread, but I have found the solution to this problem, and as @br_cks already said, use selectionbox.

Using selectionbox with the used properties, the parts will look exactly like the ones you want, as you can see in the image.

1 Like

Outlines getting bigger the farther you go is honestly the only difference, whereas the looks are mostly the same. I think Roblox made a fine decision except for the outlines getting thicker.

It also won’t work on things like cylinders or wedges like the original outlines did. The only way to truly make an accurate emulation is decals, which you’d need unique versions of for each individual part.

Decals are a way but wouldn’t reincarnate it like selectionbox does.