How to make a black outline

Hello I am wanting to know how to do a “cartoon outline” so i can make black orbs with a white visible core. It is used in some UGC hats

UGC hats that use this "cartoon outline"

Cartoony Head Outline - Roblox
Cupid's Cartoon Wings - Roblox
Soaring Cartoon Wings - Roblox
Cartoon Reaper Mask - Roblox

As you see in the UGC hats above, whenever you turn your camera, the outline changes so you can see it in the right place. This is what I want but I am not sure how to do it. The game databrawl uses this concept with all its characters to 💚 Databrawl - Roblox

4 Likes

You might just have to use particles. I don’t think this effect is possible in studio right now.
It reminds me of the art style of borderlands and I love it! I tried to do the same thing a while ago and it never worked out. Good luck though!

Well heres the thing (should of added this in the thing imma do it rn) the game Databrawl 💚 Databrawl - Roblox uses this concept with all its characters

you might have to do it manually. thats a completely different effect to what you were asking for a moment though.

These are inverted normals. Of course, this is possible. Cartoon Shading on Custom Hats

2 Likes
1 Like

oof blender… :no_mouth: umm… tbh i dont even know how to make a sphere in blender but i do have it

1 Like

SelectionSphere may be what you’re looking for. However, you cannot change the outline width (it is always 0.5 studs). If you want a custom sphere outline, use a sphere mesh from the library or upload yours. Then, insert it as a SpecialMesh and invert 1 or 3 scale coordinates:

4 Likes

You basically just invert the mesh, and scale it slightly larger, as shown above. You can do this with any mesh, including brick meshes, etc. Make sure to remove the texture.

1 Like

I used the libary like you said.

major ocd perfection time

Edit: Its finished

looks op cuz i was going to make them move around the character

1 Like

You could try using LegacyOutlines, although I think this only affects things inside of Studio and not ingame.

1 Like

If it’s a sphere, you can insert a SpecialMesh into a separate part and change the MeshType to sphere. Use FileMesh for other mesh types (such as accessories or gear).

That’s going to be Shift+A, then select sphere, press space and then search up “Shade Smooth”. Then press tab, press A if all of the vertices are not selected for some reason (they’ll be orange), but they should be. Finally press the space bar and then search up “Flip Normals”. You can then export it by going to the top left corner and pressing File, then Export and then finally Wavefront (.obj).

Maybe the “Highlight” Feature?