How to Make a Terrifying Horror Game

Yes of course, why wouldn’t it? Just make sure that whatever you’re using to achieve it won’t lag the game. If it will keep it to a minimum, you should be ok.

2 Likes

Hey! Currently trying to make my own horror game, and these tips are pretty good i will definitely use them. Good job in the making of this i can tell it took a bit.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the kind words. It took me a while, but I want to share my knowledge to with others and try to help. It was very thoughtful of you to write this.

1 Like

Another way the scare element can be mixed up is by making the lore cold and depressing.

Like say, the world has been eliminated by a virus and you’re the only one left. That itself souns kinda creepy, doesnt it?

Also, you can use creepy music, like a viiolin screech

1 Like

Yes i was first unsure on how i could bring full fright to the player, then i read this and now im deciding to make the player cross a giant hole on only one piece of metal that fell. rehehehe this is gonna bring some heck for people who have fear of height. Anyway, i geniunely appreciate you taking the time to put this together.

1 Like

That’s true, but there’s gotta be a story behind it that:
a) makes sense
b) is fun
c) doesn’t get dry quickly (despite it being fun)

It’s a concept that’s difficult to execute, but it sure sounds nice.

Exactly. I am Legend has a great,creepy, and isolating lore which makes sense and is fun

Another idea may be that you’re trapped in an infinite and inescapable maze and you have to survive

Backroom s hehe

Lol without reading the hidden text I already knew what you meant. Just make sure to not make it too similar to backrooms if you decide on it.

However, if it’s supposed to be similar on purpose, make sure you put in your description that you were inspired by The Backrooms.

1 Like

Wonderfully composed.
It contains a ton of information and is well put together. If it were any better, it would be an entire YouTube video.

2 Likes

I’d say focus on music and sounds the most, those always tend to be the nerve rackers of horror games for a lot of people. But, I like this tutorial as I will most likely make one in the future, so thank you for this.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m glad you liked my tutorial!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty important stuff but Roblox, as always, made work hard for devs with the audio update.

I might include this in the topic, thanks for sharing. Good luck with your own topic!

Thanks izNatt, this has been really useful! I’m glad to see that this topic has remained popular after so long. :grin:

3 Likes

Haha thank you!
It isn’t exactly popular, but people still see it and that makes me happy.

2 Likes

Hello!
I’m making a horror game and this helped. Something I really related to was the write the script first. I’ve had to repurpose so many animations because of that. Great work. :smile:

1 Like

This is a pretty darn good resource!
Currently considering making a game heavily inspired by and based on the Halo franchise centered around the “Flood”, so having advice and tips on making something un-nerving and horrifying is very useful, especially considering how much body horror I’ll be including.

Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

Thank you, this means a lot.

Good luck on your project and have fun!

1 Like

one question i have is how to create tension, for example:

• ambience
  • chase music
  • screen starting to tremble while near a monster
  • very little space

which would be the best combination for these?

What do you mean by the best combination? You listed good things but I don’t know what you’re asking

1 Like

forgot to add this but meant stuff like silence + sudden chase music and other stuff which works best when combined

2 Likes