How to Make a Terrifying Horror Game

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUOUS SUPPORT! :heart:

Summary

Welcome! I’m Natt, and I’m here to show you how to make a horror game! This topic takes a sort of theoretical approach, meaning I won’t directly show you how to make something in Studio, but give you the dos and don’ts of making a horror game before you jump into developing it.

Part 1 - Talking about what you’re going to be doing with the game - mainly how to write a script for your game and how to manage it. I’ll discuss with you what to do when issues occur.

Part 2 - Talking about what horror elements you should have, while also explaining what to avoid when writing. Helpful replies are mentioned in this part!

Here are some alternative topics to this one that are worth checking out:

Have fun reading!

PART I. - Shaping the idea

Everything starts with just an idea. To come up with an idea and shape it into a game, here’s what to do:

1. Planning and writing

Firstly…

Try to think of something original. If you get inspired by another game, you will want to have a lot of aspects that the original has, therefore making you get the original game’s aspects. People will recognize this and compare it, which is usually not something you want especially if it is a downgrade.

This doesn’t imply that you shouldn’t get inspired by other games - after all that is how many successful games were created. A smart move is getting an idea from one game and then adding something of your own to it to make it even better.

Secondly…

If you’re writing a script, avoid putting it on hiatus. After it has been days, even weeks later of returning to the project, it might be hard to be as creative as before. And, fully finish a thought or idea before taking a break.

Thirdly…

Don’t start working on the game if you haven’t finished writing the script for the entire game. You don’t have to plan game updates ahead of time though, since those will be based around the work you have already done.

Last, but not least…

Simply put, writing isn’t always easy. Though I would argue starting is the hardest, after you’ve got an idea it’s smoother sailing.

Anywho, with writing, you’re testing your creativity and your abilities. If you want to achieve your goals in writing, you must always have courage and the right mindset. Motivation helps.

Fun is another key factor. You might be reading this topic because you need a story (or you just want your game to make sense) - not because you want to write one. You should find entertainment in this sort of stuff for it to be most efficient. Explore your options and get immersed - all options are in your imagination after all!

SUMMARY: I’ve explained important things about planning and writing. In short, it’s important to be original, to write with the right mindset and technique, and to finish writing before heading to Studio.

2. Struggles that come with writing.

It’s more common than you think - among all devs. To come across a problem when writing.

• You might be struggling with ideas. Maybe you thought out this amazing idea, but you later realize it was used in a popular game, and putting it into yours would seem like blatantly copying it.

• You’re struggling with how to put your thoughts into words.

• Maybe you think that what you want in your game is too complex, aka you won’t have the skill to script, build, etc.

We’ve all heard that we can just ask DevForum for help, but some people are scared to ask. I’m telling you not to be, and that you should go right ahead. Don’t take criticism to heart, but instead learn from it.

Some fixes to your problems can be found on this topic, or elsewhere on the DevForum. Messaging me privately for help is always an option. Perhaps you might be able to fight through obstacles on your own

3. Details

• Make sure to include easter eggs throughout your game.
Definition of an easter egg (explained by @izNatt)

Easter eggs in video games are ‘secrets’ hidden inside of them. Most are found by performing special actions that don’t have to change the game’s storyline but are there to surprise the player by discovering a fun detail about the game or revealing hidden lore that the main storyline usually doesn’t provide.

With Easter Eggs, players may be able to discover new endings to games. Perhaps, if a game is a cat-chases-mouse type of horror game, you can (maybe) learn about the cat’s backstory. We don’t see that often. It is a nice touch though. Usually in games, the threat, let’s take it in this case - a killer, we don’t know anything about the killer. The focus is just trying to escape it.

Players often visit the badges tab. In there, you can hint to them a lot of things. Discovering easter eggs can award badges. It’s another layer of gameplay committed players can explore.

SUMMARY: Explained what Easter Eggs are and how to make efficient use of them, where to put them, etc, while also suggesting how to resolve issues that come with writing.

PART 2 - Execution!

Okay! Now that you know the basics of getting started, here are some tips to enhance your writing material.

Giving players the spooks - Important tips & Mentions

How would we achieve this?

Here are 16 detailed in-depth tips that are sure to help! Be on the lookout for updates.

1. Make sure that your game has at least a little of each horror element:

• Fear
  • Shock
  • Disgust

I know that Roblox’s limitations can suck, so making less use of some elements is respectable, and sometimes it’s the only thing that can be done.

2. Don’t let horror begin right upon joining

Let players get familiar with the environment, lighting, controls, feel, and atmosphere of the game, as well as the plot (if needed). By doing this, you are allowing players to get comfortable with the aforementioned elements of the game which will enhance their experience from the get-go.

3. Turn things that people find happy and fun scary

This is a great way to mess with the player’s minds. We’ve seen tons of games execute this idea already, and it turned out well.

Reference Image

This was the cover-up for what was horror. As you probably know by now, FNAF was a big success (although it’s not a Roblox game it is notable as it fits this tip.)

4. Include the most common phobias and fears in your game

Most devs would first think about Nyctophobia, an extreme fear of the dark. However, what if we could spice that up with Arachnophobia, extreme fear of spiders, and other tiny creatures of the sort?

Other common phobias include Astraphobia, Agoraphobia, (the most important of all in horror!), Mysophobia. It’s fun to incorporate these in your game.

Astraphobia - fear of lightning
Agoraphobia - fear of being entrapped, unable to escape
Mysophobia - fear of dirtiness and filth (environment)

5. The use of people/“beings” in distress.

While overdone in a variety of cliches, these can prove effective in your game if implemented correctly. These could include crying, screaming, heavy breathing/panting, etc. or anything that will hint at mental instability.

Make sure to always think about the placement of these, and if you should even use them in the first place. They’re most effective when used when they connect to the game’s lore/plot!

6. Lock the game in 1st person

While you don’t need to do this to make a game scary, having a player see their goofy avatars surely downgrades the scariness at times. Plus, they can see their surroundings more easily when zoomed out which gives them an advantage, PLUS (lol), having it zoomed in makes the game more realistic and scary, like how they would experience the game in real life.

To help yourself when making the game in Studio, you don’t need to have it locked in 1st person, as it can get annoying to test the game. You can always easily zoom in to get an idea of what it’ll be, right? Right at the end of creating the game, you can set it to 1st person.

7. Don’t force or overuse jumpscares and rely on them

Jumpscares are a bit overrated, especially those that don’t even have anything to do with the actual story, like seeing a shadow behind a corner or hearing some whispers… Not to mention a horror game can play out just fine without a single jumpscare.

I wouldn’t say jumpscares are bad to incorporate, however. You can have them if they make sense and enhance the experience.

Make sure to include jumpscares at the right time and setting, when players least expect them. You can try and ask yourself “Is this a place where I would expect a jumpscare?” If the answer is yes, maybe don’t place the jumpscare there, and incorporate it elsewhere.

8. Include the uncanny valley to create sick monsters/creatures

Definition of uncanny & a little info by @izNatt

In this case, uncanny would mean something that looks like a human, but it isn’t, which gives a weird vibe. And, while the culprit could be this uncanny, that term also stands for something that is familiar but offsetting. That could help and could work wonders to mess with people’s minds, while not being taken down by Roblox. You’re welcome.

Scary image of uncanny

Although portrayed as a meme, this is still a good representation. Notice how it seems off?

You can use the uncanny to create environments in which players will be. After all, environments are one of the most important factors of games.

9. Let players choose a difficulty (if your game supports it)

I recommend making your difficulties the following, and I’ll explain why: Normal, Hard, Extreme.

Easy difficulties feel less intimidating which may not be a good thing.

Normal should be easy to beat (easy), Hard gets tougher (normal), and Extreme (hard) for those up for the challenge. It’s the easy-normal-hard formula but with different names.

10. Always make the player feel weak and vulnerable

• It’s a good way of scaring people, to make them feel powerless. Some creative ways of doing this are limiting player movement speeds or any other way to disorient them. You can make the screen darker and darker to represent fear levels, and so on.

• If combat is an option, make it feel unreliable. Like a double-edged sword, where the player is put at risk while using it. A good example of this would be TRAVERSAL - Roblox

11. Isolate the player from other people… if you’d like.

Having others going through everything gives us a little bit of comfort. If you can, try to minimize the interactions with players, NPCs, etc. by being separated. Don’t do this if it ruins your story, though. It’s supposed to enhance it, so if that’s not what it does then move on.

12. Make likable main characters (if… yknow, there are any.)

One of the most important things in video games are characters that will follow you through the game:

1. you can relate to, always feel what they feel + like you’re them (if you are playing as a different avatar/someone that isn’t you and there is monologue/dialogue)
  • If it’s an NPC:
  1. you’re happy whenever you see them - a character you can develop a deep bond with
  2. with a long time spent apart, you might start to think about when you will see them again
  3. you wonder how they will impact the story

13. Let players use their imaginations and feel emotion outside of horror

In general, horror games are made to scare you. But, what if they could make you feel sad, feel… happy?

Make players feel mixed emotions.

Example: Let them discover the backstory to the culprit by clues found throughout the game – this doesn’t always need to be hidden, though! It seems like a way to mess with the players’ emotions. For example, they find something sad about the villain, their motives and thoughts…

14. Limit players’ use of light; orientation

If you’re using a flashlight as your main light source in the game, make the player pay a price for it. Examples: make “the” creature come closer to you, or drain your flashlight’s batteries, make it noisy…

Adding to my previous point with a little detail; if you’re using a battery system, make it fair and scale it with the game difficulty. Also, if batteries are something that players can pick up and put in their flashlights, then: don’t scatter them on floors and tables for no reason. Hide them in drawers, cabinets, and perhaps devices like radios or toys in which players can find batteries via interaction.

15. Add flavor text to items and make them more interactable

What's flavor text?

Flavor text is any text in a game that is completely unrelated to actual rules or gameplay, and is included merely for effect.

Source (if you’d like to read more): https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlavorText#:~:text=Flavor%20text%20is%20any%20text%20in%20a%20game,Tabletop%20Games%2C%20and%20also%20occurs%20in%20Video%20Games.)

It’s often used in descriptions of items, weapons…

There’s not much to say, however, in games, it’s a nice little touch and gives them only a little more life.

Add monologue when interacting with or inspecting items (but don’t make it annoying like in The Walking Dead game franchises). If you don’t understand, it’s ok, move on.

16. Punish players for not paying attention to the game

Players tend to do what they need to do to move forward with the story and get the ending. They pay attention to things they must, such as other characters, the story, and stats (hunger, HP, sanity?) But, do they pay attention to the environment and the outside world?

For example, you have a pet at home. Like, a pet fish. If you go out and do your own thing with the storyline, when you come home your fish dies because you forgot to feed it when you went out… Just to throw people off-guard.

Replies on this topic worth mentioning

Kind Replies
Helpful Replies
  • I agree! Every Roblox game should be very dark, but there’s a certain line that many games cross that makes it painful to progress, even with a source of light.

SUMMARY: Be careful when limiting sources of light.

• Agreed, but there are some downsides to this. I addressed them in tip #7.

Humans work in a way that when they know they are in danger, they never let their guard down unless they are out of that situation completely. There’s so much more to this than meets the eye. If you play your cards right, you might make this the best thing your game could have, but vice versa as well.

SUMMARY: Creating an atmosphere in which players can feel safe to then later seriously scare them is smart, however only when you know what you’re doing.

Other

A little something for all devs

Tips related to Studio development. :blue_heart:

1. Never make overly complex projects at once. Start with small steps and progress at your own pace. If you think you can do it though, give it your all!

2. Don’t compare yourself to others and your game to other games. Know that you’re a good dev and your game is awesome, and if someone made a bigger and more complex project, then… Good for them. You do you though and know you’re amazing in your own right!~

3. Have fun. Remember that developing on Roblox should be purely for fun. And, sure, others have their definition of what developing should be, but, all devs can say that it at least is for fun. Don’t force yourself to develop on this platform. Do it when you can and want to.

4. Never be afraid to state your opinions on DevForum and be free to ask for help.

Part 3 - COMING SOON!

Thank you for reading this topic.

You can tell me what you think by voting on the polls below!

• I ask that you don’t vote unless you have read the chapter(s) you’re voting on. Don’t jump to conclusions by taking a glance, even if you’d rate it a 10~!

Out of 10, how informative did you find Part 1?

• 3 or less

0 voters

Out of 10, how informative did you find Part 2?

• 3 or less

0 voters

Part 3 hasn’t been released, so I haven’t put up a poll for it… yet.

Follow up with the topic to get notified of Pt. 3’s release.

-Written by @izNatt with small help from @google
-Awesome replies @mentioned

162 Likes

Nice tutorial. Bookmarked this tutorial. IMO, The Backrooms gave me an unnerving vibe like being alone and the horror of staying in a silent environment, it could be really an useful element for a horror game.

11 Likes

Thank you so much! This is a great help. I always wanted to make a horror game but I would’ve messed it up if I started already without reading this tutorial. Can’t wait to see part 3 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very nice tutorial, I’m making one and this post gave me bunch of ideas that I never thought about, it also helped me organize my whole game. Can’t wait for part 3.

3 Likes

Great tutorial! I just really don’t like the light swearing part. It wouldn’t be good for kids, plus I wouldn’t really like it. But I am not saying to take it down, this is just my opinion.

3 Likes

Something I feel people abuse too much is darkness or poor lighting. That’s not scary, it’s just annoying. A lamp should give off a sufficient amount of light, not look like I have built in sunglasses in my eyes. Also worth mentioning it does depend on the game, but at least show them what they should be scared of before dropping them into the void of trying to see what the heck is happening.

Also after playing multiple horror games just- please put some effort in to the stories and fix spelling and grammar in the subtitles!

8 Likes

I said that I’m against the idea of that? Maybe you misunderstood me?

Either way, thanks for the positive message :)!

3 Likes

Very well said. I’ll make sure to mention you on the topic!

2 Likes

Nice! But how do you get people adrenaline pumping? Like “It Lurks”, the chase scene all always intense and it always gets me on every loud noise or jumpscare

1 Like

If it’s a horror game, a good one at that, players should always be on edge. That’s what makes everything scarier, and what the point of the adrenaline pump is.

Find a way to adapt to that. What do you think, how would your game achieve that?

“It Lurks” used the chase scene to build up tension. Notice how you were so scared after that and were always on the lookout? Players should never let their guard down. Popular games like Resident Evil 2 actually fail to achieve this sometimes, and it can even get boring to players.
Maybe it’s because of the repetitiveness, like zombie this room zombie that, herbs, boss, and that on repeat times 5 until the epic boss and… Wow game over you won.
I hope you get what I’m saying and are following up hah

Well, if you follow this tutorial, I’m sure there will be no scare issues. Players should stay on edge 24/7.

…So, it’s up to you what you make of this! I’m sure it’ll be great. I’m open to any questions!

2 Likes

I’m starting to get what you mean.

Hey everyone! To those that are tracking the posts of this topic, I have an update for you. :blush:

Although Part 3’s release is to be talked about, it should come around early Spring 2022. It would contain thousands of words and be the longest yet, but I don’t know if there is a word limit or something, guess I’ll have to see, hah.

5 Likes

Hey devs, major update ahead! :wink:

I’ve rephrased some of my writing and made it easier to read for those that have maybe been struggling. I’ve also enhanced some tips in Pt. 2! Some tips are now more informative and better explained.

The following applies for both parts: I’ve added short summaries for developers to read if they don’t want to read the whole thing, but also for those that want to recap on what was said!

Tips won’t have summaries since their title explains it just about. However, I am putting it on my to-do list, among many other things. Right now, only replies have summaries.

Finally, thank you guys so much for the feedback on the polls! I’m shocked to see that you guys liked it so much!

Pt. 2 was a little better received than Pt. 1, so I’ll try to update Pt. 1 a bit more to even that out. The scores are still overwhelmingly good!

3 Likes

100000% agree with this. I played a game yesterday that did this exact thing and it just made me more annoyed than scared to the point I felt like rage quitting. I think it also had color correction which made it worse. Also, on another point, I find it so annoying when a game has like a really hard/confusing puzzle/objective cuz then it just puts ppl off.

2 Likes

I have a feeling it can be effective to make their guard go down sometimes to give them a false sense of security and then scare them when they least expect it

3 Likes

I agree, but it can sometimes take a while to build up to that point which takes away a lot of time.

Not saying it’s a bad idea, but more often than not it doesn’t work, but I don’t doubt you can pull it off.

I’ll put that on the topic to make more people aware.

1 Like

Hello to everyone that’s still sticking around! It sure has been a while… :smirk:

I’ve wanted to thank everyone for your continuous support. Every day this topic grows, gets likes, and gets noticed. I’m very grateful for that~! :confetti_ball:

This topic has reached nearly 50 likes, and as a thank you, I decided to do so many brand new things and refreshen this topic.

I have big plans for the future - I want to update this topic more. The topic may get daily uploads, but writing long replies every day isn’t exactly fun for everyone, especially the ones tracking the topic that don’t care so much for small things.

So, today, I decided to add the ‘Update Log’! Although this topic has over a dozen updates, I did manage to shorten it by writing all I’ve edited since my first ever edit! You can take a look at it there. This is an especially useful feature for developers that visit the topic every day while developing, and all of a sudden they see that the topic has been edited - with this new feature they can see what was changed without an unnecessary bump, plus, the whole history of the topic is there for those interested, too.

Of course, though, any major updates will be announced in the replies also, such as Part 3’s release or heavily major updates in the already existing parts.

Some other important things are on the log, but writing them here would make this reply too long, so I recommend going there to see what’s changed! It’s located below the ‘Introduction’.

That’s all, thank you so much for the support! If any of you out there ever make a horror game using my format, I would love it if you were to send me your games. I would really like to see what you guys make with this!

4 Likes

Hey there, this topic is getting a bump, and I apologize for it. I would just like to know if anyone is interested in me revamping the topic completely and writing for more styles than story horror games.

By that, I mean all types of games, such as Piggy-like games, The Rake-type games, etc. Let me know!
For now, there are only story games, and it’s like The Mimic.

2 Likes

Hey! Your post is really amazing! Just the perfect time as I was making (Kind of) a horror game!

2 Likes

Can adding scary graphics/texture’s add the scaryness more up?

1 Like