How to make a textured mesh of a character glow...?

So currently, I’m trying to port a character 3D model into ROBLOX as a skinned R15 character, and it has emission maps, which aren’t currently supported in SurfaceAppearances for some reason, and using the Neon material on a textured MeshPart does not do anything.

What I would do for making a fake-emissive mesh is to use a SpecialMesh and then adjusting the VertexColor, which looks perfect.

So it all seems good, but when I apply a Humanoid, the glow in the eyes suddenly disappears!

I looked this up and it seems to be an engine limitation, which sucks. The only workaround listed is to set the parent of the glowing mesh to be outside of the character (which will not work efficiently because I’m going to make the character a StarterCharacter)

Now I’m not quite sure on how to have a textured glowing mesh be part of a custom character… :confused:

1 Like

mmm do you think you could make the eye part a separate mesh, make it neon, apply a (mostly transparent) gradient decal and weld it to the rest of the character?

I could try that, but the UVs are a little messy so it will require some work to do.

Decals ignore UV maps (they are just slapped on) as long as the front face is flat enough it should work smoothly