How to make UGC hair in blender 2.8 (PT 2)

Welcome!

So this is part two of my blender hair tutorials. If you haven’t read that one click here. In that tutorial we covered the basics of how to make hair. In this tutorial we will be covering some easier techniques to keep the tris count lower, and how to make a hair texture in paint.net! (not a link)

Requirements

- An understanding on curves, and uv mapping (covered in previous tutorial)

Part one

So go ahead and get your roblox character into the workspace, which will be a good base to work off of. I will expect you to know a lot of what I am talking about due to the first tutorial. With that out of the way, lets go ahead and add out circle. This is under curves. Head over to the properties tab, and turn town the resolution to 3. This will help to reduce the amount of tris.

Part 2

Now that we have the circle in, and it isn't going to be absurdly high we can move onto the hair. We are going to do the same, and set the resolution to 2-3.

Part 3: Hair texture

Step 1

So that wraps up the major changes to the hair. The rest of the steps are found in tutorial one. Last time we didn't cover how to make the hair textures. Here we will be covering those simple steps. First you will need paint.net. I assume you can do this on other programs, but for this tutorial we will be using paint.net. Make sure the background is transparent. The width and height doesn't really matter. Just do whatever you feel works.

Step 2

Chose your color, I will be doing purple, and color the entire background that color. This can be done with the bucket tool.

Step 3

At the top there is a button called "Effects". Click that, and go to noise. You will then press "Add Noise". Below are the settings I am using, but you can use any settings you want for this. The color saturation adds more color difference in it. But that's up to you if you want to do that. Press "okay", and you will be left with the noise texture.

Step 4

So next we are going to be doing highlights. Once you have the color selected you want to, make a "bar" across it. It doesn't have to be perfect, but make it as thick as you want. I made mine a bit thinner, but you can go thicker if you want. You also repeat this on the bottom of the noise texture.

Step 5

So you have to make sure you have Jitter installed for this step, you can find the download location above. Below are the settings I used, you can use others, but it's a very finicky plugin.

Step 5

So next we apply a motion blur. This is under Effects > Blur > Motion Blur. Below are the settings I used, but you can use any that you want. It's pretty flexible. One recommendation I would make is to make the lighter color very light. Mine was a bit dark

Conclusion

In conclusion making textures for hairs is pretty easy. You can add some shadows at the edges to have shadows, but that's totally optional. I also included some changes to the first tutorial to help reduce the tris count. I would also recommend making the bars a bit bigger than I did, and lighter. Overall, I would love to see what you guys come up with!
46 Likes

Very nice tutorial! I can now make hair in blender, thanks to you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for a way to make good hair in Roblox, thank you so much!