How to make your textures look 3D! PBR (Physics Based Rendering)

Cropped with roblox characters actually DOES increase the effectiveness of PBR textures. Let me explain. Because roblox characters are encoded in 64gb emmc memory-based storage (which is the same as these textures) it allows the roblox engine to mimic a 4k resolution effect on the surface that it’s being applied on.

3 Likes

@Crazedbrick1 @TheDarth_Dot adding it in a sec…

Bookmarked! Going to be looking at this later. I had no idea it was this easy.

3 Likes

Detailed video tutorial on how to export Roblox models as meshes!

2 Likes

One more website that you can find CC0 PBR textures:
Free PBR Textures | CC0 Textures | Share Textures

3 Likes

I hope this helped someone c:
Good luck! It’s really easy.

Some styling edits to the tutorial.

It would actually be much more optimized (I’ll explain down here.)

This is actually wrong, PBR is MUCH BETTER as it has a much lower poly count than shaping the mesh. It still looks very realistic as the computer actually calculates new shadows specifically for those textures.

All in all, PBR is much better than just shaping the mesh.
If you don’t exactly understand PBR, go search it up. It’s very useful and you should probably learn it.

1 Like

Awesome tutorial! Definitely going to use this in one of my future games.

You may also use texture haven.
They have hundreds of different types of PBR textures.
Also was gonna suggest quixel, but not sure if it’s legal to take textures from there.

1 Like

you know this is a really good tutorial :100: keep up the good work @alexfinger21 :+1: defiantly gonna use this website :star_struck:

2 Likes

If you buy a license then it’s legal. Not that they’re gonna issue a dmca takedown cause they probably won’t. Once your game releases buy a license since it’s a great app

Awesome guide! Everything looks better already and I just started playing around with it.
One thing though, is that I tried a few PNG textures and it wouldn’t work. Perhaps they were too big, but it gave me an error and said to make sure the file was an image. The JPEG version worked fine though.
Any recommendations on which size to use specifically for Roblox?

2K JPG gives me the best results.

PBR Textures aren’t worse than normal materials, they’re the same, for example roblox uses PBR for their materials, and you’re using PBR materials as well.

Yeah, but the main point of this post is custom textures.

I just saw comments in this post saying PBR Textures are worse for performance.

You can also use PolyHaven, it’s basically the same thing as the website you’re showing

Very true, default Roblox textures are also PBR and it shows when you go to Lighting and put the TimeOfDay at around 18:00 - 19:00.

Yes, they are bad for performance if you are going to overuse them, but for a small realistic showcase game it doesn’t really matter. Also SurfaceApperance is kinda bad because it just works on meshes.

The textures look great, thanks for making this tutorial. Do you have any tips or tricks for scaling or tiling the textures? When you create a part and texture with this method, the part doesn’t tile the texture the way Roblox native materials do on regular parts. For example in my screenshot, you can see, if the meshpart is not an exact cube the texture gets squished:
This would be tricky to try and use for a thin wall unless you are able to hide the edges with something else. Also, when you stretch the part, the texture only stretches with it, it does not tile the way Roblox materials will tile. So to get the texture size you want you may have to manually stack parts side by side to get the same effect, and they will have to be square or the texture gets distorted.

2 Likes