How To Market Yourself

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Prologue
  2. The Importance of Creating Connections
  3. Being a Man and Asking For Help and Guidance
  4. Conclusion + Where To Start
  5. TL;DR (“Too long; didn’t read”. An old saying from ATR.)

PROLOGUE

Before I begin, I’d like to introduce myself. As some of you know, my name is LuckyTux. I am in no way shape or form the greatest Roblox developer. Don’t let the bloxy fool you: I’m the shortest giant. Now, what does that even mean? In layman’s terms, I’m the worst of the best. I’m a jack of all traits and a master of few. The following article will explain to you how being the right person at the right time can cement you into a playing field of possibilities. In it, I will also tell my story of what I did and continue to do to help myself grow as a developer.

THE IMPORTANCE OF CREATING CONNECTIONS

BOF: It is sort of essential to build up connections to be able to succeed, without it, it’s really hard to be successful on Roblox on your own, but not impossible. Either way, having connections is something I’d take as something you really need in order to bring yourself out there. ( @KingPythonicus )

I first joined Roblox when I was 10 years old wayyyyy back in 2012 under the name SuperawesomeguyKEC and got my start building with the old personal server feature.

FIGURE ONE: Me, my little brother, and a guy named Famcam creating a game called “Driving Test For Admin” which is ironic because I failed mine on my first attempt.

When I lost access to that account in 2014 (I fell for a free robux scam and Roblox customer service was unable to verify that it was me and help me get it back ) I was forced with the choice to quit the site entirely or come back with a new name: a new face. I became LuckyTux (I wanted the name LuckyDuck :duck: because of Egg Hunt 2013, my favorite event at the time, but it was taken so I settled for the closest sounding word)

This time around, I wanted to be better. I wanted to be a real developer. Either by luck or by fate, that year I developed major friendships and business connections that empowered me to be able to be able to get ahead of the competition. A man by the name of Un1t3DM0d3lz recruited LukeyBuild, 2Hex, myself, and a few other developers to work for his studio group to create a game called Rush Runner, a harder version of Speed Run 4

FIGURE TWO: Even back before he perfected his English, Lukey did an amazing job building.

These connections would eventually help me greatly in the long run- I’ve worked with Tom on four projects now- and I was lucky to have met such wonderful people; however, those are not the only people I marketed myself to. I must have won the connection lottery when I became an active member in GodzGalaxy 's community “Godz Games” where he built amazing games on the personal server platform and it was from there that I also later met Repotted. Those two would later go on to create Big Brother and Survivor.

hqdefault
FIGURE THREE: In this picture, the Godz Games community is playing a game called “Murder Night”.

Nurgenius: Nobody will pair you up with another just like that, and thats why building connections is so important. ( @nurgenius )

The building of relationships with other people is important, but it is more important when it is done with a purpose. Being friendly and helpful allows for you gain opportunities to help test and work on projects with your friends. My first major break came with a game by the name of The Button Challenge where I worked with Frinigus , The_Frame , 2Hex, LukeyBuild, and several other developers. It gave me the first real taste of development and, although the project never came out, I built the connections I needed. Likewise, I won my bloxy through my connections. Through them, I was able to create the textures for the necklaces and the rest is history.

Through marketing myself, I was able to create long lasting friendships and partnerships that I still use to this day to develop myself as a developer. Making relationships with other developers is a crucial thing to succeeding on the site for one simple reason: you can’t do it alone.

BEING A MAN AND ASKING FOR GUIDANCE

JFK: Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.

One thing that a lot of growing developers do when they begin to get good at a certain field that hinders them in the long run is that they feel that they are above asking for help, above asking for guidance. Being great at something isn’t the only way to have your name get out. Sometimes, being inexperienced and in need of guidance opens more opportunities for smaller developers to grow and earn robux working commission.

Over the summer, I had a rising developer reach out to me to work for one of my projects, of which will remain confidential; however, he was not at the level of expertise needed to be on the team. To help build his portfolio, he offered to learn from my members and become an intern on the team. From there, awesomecoolpop worked his way up and became a full fledged member of the team after receiving months of guidance.
FIGURE FOUR: A low poly meal created by Awesomecoolpop while working on our private project.

Awesomecoolpop is an amazing example of not being afraid to ask for help and guidance to succeed. By not being arrogant, he was able to learn and gain the experience he needed to succeed.

WHERE TO START

From personal experience, I believe that one of the best things a new developer can do to grow themselves in the modern Roblox era is to join one of the major developer discord communities (IF YOU ARE OVER 13). Hidden Developers and DevArchives are my personal favorites because of their activity and their communities. Likewise, involving yourself in development groups on the site can give you an opportunity to flourish and so can twitter communities.
Furthermore, reaching out to certain developers with questions tends to be very useful. Although not all developers appreciate these questions, many creators are happy to help if they are informed. Using the devforum’s group function to find individuals who are good at a certain field can make your life easier.
Finally, there is always the old fashion way: game-nights and holiday parties. Many developers attend them and it’s easy to make connections st these events.

TL;DR

Too long; didn’t read. An old term used on the original Roblox forum. In its simplest form, it’s a short version of the article.

• Introduce yourself to new developers
  • Don’t be afraid to ask for questions and guidance
  • Join development groups, twitter communities (13+), and discord servers (13+).
  • Be active in the community
3 Likes