How to Re-Upload and Replace User-External Audio in Your Game Ahead of the Upcoming Privacy Update

[DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT ADVISE THE USE OF THIS PROCESS FOR ANY MUSIC/SOUND EFFECTS TIED TO LICENSES YOU DON’T OWN]
The new free audio and privacy update is important, which is nice that audio is now free to upload but SCARY that audio you use that may be from older inactive accounts will automatically be set to Private with no chance of them coming back in to set the audio to Public. Thankfully, I have a laborious solution, but at least it’s a solution.

1: Simply copy the assetID number from the audio, then put “roblox.com/library/” in your browser then paste in the number after the /

2: Download this Chrome extension which can pull audio from the site as a sound file: ROBLOX Audio Downloader - Chrome Web Store
3: Then click the icon for the extension while on the webpage for the audio and it will download the audio.

4: Then reupload that audio!

I wish you all the best of luck ahead of this major change.

25 Likes
  1. Get stuck in the same place after you get DMCA’d but this time with no time to find said audio.

All jokes aside, this change is horrible and I hope that this is not the only solution to devs who are desperate to preserve how their games sound.

6 Likes

I seriously do NOT understand their motive to RETROACTIVELY make all old audios (longer than 6s) private. There was no issue previously that this change is addressing.

2 Likes

For people who dont use Chrome, you can also webscrape the Audio content URL from the play button

7 Likes

I dont even know where the audio I own and dont own is in my game, so this is going to be the most tedious thing ever, OH and the 10 audio per month limit is going to prevent me uploading all the audio at once, because we cant even pay after we reach the limit and I’m not giving a random company my id just to upload audio that I shouldn’t have to upload

yeah, it is really dumb how i have to give my personal info to get a 90 upload increase, why not just have it at 50, this is going to cause a huge pause of game development for tons of groups.

I know the update is stupid but I really don’t recommend doing this, it’s pretty explicitly against the literal ToS (like the legal agreement one):

Anybody doing this is basically waiting to get hit with one or more DMCAs possibly leading to a ban.

2 Likes

I only advise this process for arbitrary basic sound effects like a car motor or a click clack of a train that isnt attached to any sort of license or mainstream game soundpack, and obviously not for music

2 Likes

This isn’t a licensing issue, you’re literally not allowed to re-upload somebody else’s UGC at all. Even if it’s from a free website, or if they made it.

2 Likes

The sounds I worked with were made by my friend in a collaboration we did together.

1 Like

…but you’re encouraging other people to do it with any audio.

Do it if you want but you are breaking the ToS, so don’t be surprised about any legal or account issues down the road.

2 Likes

To be honest very little people will be caught doing this method however I’ll say that more people need to stand up and stop roblox from forcing this update on us.

1 Like

there, I added a disclaimer at the top.

1 Like

also I believe this primarily applies to hats and avatar items

1 Like

ayy, it’s my extension!

yeah, I don’t understand why Roblox is doing this so soon and so quickly, it’s honestly stupid. this tutorial should help a lot of people though, thanks for making it.

2 Likes

You are a god for providing tools like this to the public

2 Likes

Thank you for this godly extension. You have no idea how much I would suffer without this.

2 Likes