[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

This audio update is actually not that good not gonna lie, most likely it will break like 97% of games.

1 Like

FYI: there are bots to download all your audios. Just change the music, not the SFX.

1 Like

This update is just useless.
I have uploaded a copyrighted audio just splitting it by parts and speeing it up.
It passed 4/6 of the audios i sent

Seems like worst updated for developers ever
ofc i used an alt lol

1 Like

I have started a petition on this matter, please read it and sign it if you’re against this change! We cannot let our creativity and determination be stolen!

8 Likes

This is a terrible update. Yes it’s good the upload fee is removed, however as someone who hasn’t ID Verified (I personally don’t want to send my ID to a large corporation that I don’t know what they are doing with it) it seems very limited. I as of now can upload 10 audio files/month. That is not that much if I had a bunch of sounds to upload. It just seems very limited and what possibly could be the start of a bunch of things that are trying to force me to ID verify (we will see in time though).

Another major issue that I really have a hard time understanding is making every audio private and restricting the ability to make them public for now. To me that makes no sense as some people (many people) intended to upload audio for the exact reason of it being public. I think a better approach would’ve been to just let developers choose to change it back to private instead of making the decision on everyone’s behalf. And even though 100,000 songs and SFX are going to be added to compensate for this, it does not work like that. The official Roblox sounds are mostly unusable in most cases. I usually have to spend a good chunk of time just sifting through sounds to find a useable one. Adding more will help but certainly not fix the issue all together.

This update doesn’t just affect new games either. Specifically existing music/rhythm games will be affected very hard by this.

To me, every issue I’ve mentioned could’ve been avoided with a few minor changes. Maybe there is something I am missing, but right now I am very disappointed by this. Making decisions for millions of people who may not even want the change isn’t the way to go.

4 Likes

While I REALLY hope they dont go completely through with privating all audio, here is a step by step instruction I made on how you can re-download all that audio for reuploading:

So what they’re saying is that all toolbox or any audio longer than 6 seconds won’t be available? If I’m wrong can someone please explain to me what they mean because I’m genially a bit confused about this whole thing.

Whilst this may be annoying, this is due to a lawsuit. Roblox didn’t want to do this. Hate to break it to you, but your petition will do nothing.

Yup, correct. You will have to reupload audio, and if you have scripts like events relying on this audio, they won’t work.

1 Like

No, JUST NO.

Can I mention how much issues there have been with the audio system in terms of finding and stopping copyrighted audio from getting uploaded in the first place?

The idea of having no audio upload fee is good in nature, but the actions outlined here will have consequences for the Roblox community as a whole.

Saying to switch our offered boomboxes to show songs uploaded by Roblox? A lot of boomboxes cost robux, meaning you have to buy a game pass. This won’t only hurt the players by limiting what they actually can play, it hurts the community as a whole and may cause people not in touch with updates to think that we as developers are trying to scam them.

Not to mention the possible countless games, both new and very old games with little to no support that will probably become dead silent thanks to this update.

You guys have given us warnings, but it’s still not too late to not roll this change out.

PS:
There’s also other more critical issues on the platform than giving users free audio.

1 Like

Reconsider.

40 Likes

audio epic

This text will be blurred

Can’t like, so have this post as a sign of epic support.

1 Like

The only issue I have with this update is the limits for how much audios different people can upload per month, specifically non-verified users. Only being able to upload 10 per month with no way to purchase more after you use up that amount is absolutely ridiculous. At least allow users to buy more after they go over the limit because it’s simply just unfair.

Imagine working on a big project with a lot of different pieces to it and then you start adding small little ambient sounds and such, but wait, you can only upload 10 sounds per month. This is going to screw over developers and probably make them steer away from development on the Roblox platform (especially if this same thing is extended to other assets).

1 Like

2,000 posts, and Roblox has not responded to this. This is the biggest drama I have ever seen on the DevForum. Please reconsider this update, Roblox. Your developers are calling for it.

6 Likes

I signed share to more people! I have shared

1 Like

their lawyer game is weak, as demonstrated here

1 Like

Roblox, once more, isn’t doing this willingly. They got into a lawsuit and this is how they are dealing with it. They don’t want to do this.

1 Like

Ohh ok thanks for the clarification. Still not the best Roblox update.

I don’t think you’re fully considering the sheer number of sounds and audios that go into a full game. This would be hundreds of hours of work. It’s just not reasonable to expect of developers to do purely to compensate for some random and arbitrary change like this.

2 Likes