How to remove sun reflections on specific materials

The title already says it, but I’m wanting to remove these ugly sun reflections on parts that use the smoothplastic- or the plastic material for a cartoony style.

How I don't want it vs want it

vs

9 Likes

How To Reduce Specular

Perhaps we want a feature request, but reducing Lighting.Brightness actually removes the reflective effect.

Maybe custom materials in the future will have the specular property? :thinking:

6 Likes

Reducing the brightness really isn’t a decent option as that would reduce the shadow strength and make the colors darker. As if someone want a cartoon-styled game, that’d include bright colors as well.

However, a feature for specular would be great.

1 Like

Perhaps adorn a SurfaceGui to the brick with a full sized frame attached, with the BackGroundColor3 equivalent to the Color value of the brick?

Not sure about the performance though if you use too many of these.

Thing is; surfaceguis are rectangular, meaning they will always show as rectangles independent on the surface they’re attached to. It may be a temporary solution for games that go for a minecraft type of building style, but not for those who have uneven surfaces in their game. (i.e. unionoperations, meshes etc.)

SurfaceGuis in my experience will render over particles, which can be problematic.

1 Like

Set material to fabric and slap some blank white decals

19 Likes

Tracking, I have this issue with heads and meshes a lot, and reducing the brightness makes the whole map too dark (i’ve tried) and material changes can give things weird textures. Unfortunately the decal/GUI work around doesn’t work.

Glare

shine

Material Change

mat

You changed it to Plastic, you gotta change it to fabric and again, slap blank white decals on it then recolor them to your liking.image
There will be a tiny-tiny glow from the sun visible, but besides it being the best option right now it’s barely visible.

6 Likes

They won’t draw over particles if your ZOffset on the SurfaceGui isnt below (about) 9.

4 Likes

i found a way to remove some of the reflections, but not all.
Screenshot 2024-02-09 180718
Screenshot 2024-02-09 180722
Screenshot 2024-02-09 180737

found a better way! if you use a blank white image as the roughness map for the material variant you want to use, it removes all glare
Before:

After:

1 Like