HTTP Unknown Error (HttpError:SslConnectFail)

Players in my game have local scripts that are erroring out due to “Player:GetRankInGroup failed because of HTTP unknown error (HttpError: SslConnectFail).” This is completely random and happens when trying to use Player:GetRankInGroup.

Players are having this issue in VOICE 🎤 | Blend V1.5 - Roblox.
This issue started happening this week after I noticed lots of errors containing HttpError: SslConnectFail in different functions which could be unrelated, and it’s now affecting :GetRankInGroup. This user is on Windows 10.

Below is my code that has worked for a year and just now started to stop working from the error above.
While I should probably be pcalling this function, it has only just now started to break, so I thought I should report it.

local Brick = script:WaitForChild("StaffBrick")
local Group = 3078838
local Rank = 3
local Loaded = game:IsLoaded() or game.Loaded:Wait()
local Player = game:GetService("Players").LocalPlayer

for i,v in pairs (workspace.Block:GetChildren()) do
	v:Destroy()
end

if Player:GetRankInGroup(Group) < Rank then --Line Erroring Out
	Brick.Parent = workspace
	Brick.Name = "Part"
else
	Brick:Destroy()
end

6 Likes

hi @popeeyy,

I’m looking through some of our data and I don’t see a lot of ssl errors for our groups endpoint. Maybe it was a transient issue, are your players still having this problem?

4 Likes

I have added prevention from this causing users trouble in my game, although I will collect some data to see if this is still occurring.

2 Likes

I’m glad you were able to work around it! Hopefully the problem isn’t occurring anymore, but if it is I would really appreciate if you could share your findings with me.

1 Like

Hello! In the time since I’ve setup the system to report these errors yesterday, I’ve had a few occurrences. One of them is new with “HTTP unknown error (HttpError: Timedout)”

(Times below are in MST)

Edit: About 5 minutes after making this post I have gotten another occurrence of the Timedout.

2 Likes

Hi! Thank you for sharing the errors! We are seeing similar timeout errors on other games as well and we are investigating. I will keep you updated.

8 Likes

I have also received something similar but I used :IsInGroup instead. It happens to me when the player joins the game

1 Like

Was a fix ever pushed through for this?

I’ve recently run into this error when using IsInGroup from the client when the player first joins.

1 Like

I can confirm we’ve also been having this issue.
It’s not super frequent, but it does happen, and we’ve been tracking it.
This is the exact error message:

3 Likes

I’ve been tracking them in popular roleplay groups which get tons of requests, and am getting 1K+ errors a week with multiple reasons. Some reasons are “ConnectFail”, “SslConnectFail”, “DnsResolve”, “Timedout”, and “curl:52, Server returned nothing (no headers, no data)”.

3 Likes

Hello
I am also getting, big, red, frequent errors…
None of my meshes, unions or animations gets loaded most of the time.
https://gyazo.com/901538752b5b12f6f2dbd659635164ee.png

3 Likes

I have to bump this thread, as this is happening to me as well, apparently, very frequently for some players.

3 Likes

I seem to be getting an increase of HTTP 500 errors being logged across multiple API endpoints, including GetRankInGroup. These errors all occurring in 3 minutes on multiple clients:

2 Likes

I’m facing the same problems on my end aswell. An increase of HTTP 500 Errors.
https://gyazo.com/969e149c69418858c8b375aaa6c0df07

2 Likes

Same exact thing.

1 Like

Happening all the time now, literally 30% of our player base can’t play. It’s not consistent though, as only some players have it in our game.

This needs to be fixed, as our scripts rely on getRankInGroup.

Edit:
Apparently now people can’t even pass the anti bot check? Not sure if this is related, but seems that roblox servers might be having problems.

1 Like

I’m also gettting errors

2 Likes

I’m having the exact same issue in my game, Province of New Kempton - Roblox

1 Like

Our game is completely unplayable currently due to HTTP 500 errors across multiple endpoints, including IsInGroup, ChatService, and GetRankInGroup

3 Likes

This post is not about the recent HTTP 500 errors. I have created a new thread for those specific errors as it’s affecting more endpoints than just GetRankInGroup. Increase In HTTP 500 Errors On API Endpoints

4 Likes