Humanoid Climbing Behaviour on leaning ladders

Note: If you agree, please make sure to like the post. It helps the most in terms of supporting it.

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to use ladders in our builds without sarcificing the smooth climbing behavior of the Humanoid.

I’ve made a little documentation of this here:

Realistically, you would want a ladder to be angled slightly. It’s harder to climb a ladder that is straight upwards than it is to climb one that’s slightly leaning. However the climbing behavior of the Humanoid doesn’t allow us to use angled ladders or TrussParts without sacrificing that nice, smooth motion. It begins stutter while climbing when you use leaning ladders.

I am currently working on my game and I have to use leaning ladders in a lot of locations to make the build look better and more realistic. (E.G.: Construction setups, ladders for attics, caves, etc)

I focus on making the world as immersive and captivating as possible and for me, personally, the jittering while climbing breaks that bubble which I try hard to keep in tact.

A proposition for a fix would be:
As soon as the character starts climbing, the HumanoidRootPart (which I believe is responsible for climbing behaviour) is rotated so it is parallel to the surface it’s climbing on? This way you would also fix it looking awkwardly tilted away from the character.

50 Likes

Somewhere floating around the resources section of the devforum, someone made a custom humanoid. I think roblox used this in the Egg Hunt 2019 when you walk on the walls, but I suppose it would also be possible to modify it to align the Torso with the ladder.

The custom humanoid you’re looking for is Luanoid, however I don’t think that’s what they would have used for the egg hunt.

I suppose a very basic ‘solution’ to this problem is if your ladders aren’t angles much, you could add an invisible truss part inside it that you would climb straight up, rather than the actual ladder at an angle. It wouldn’t be perfect and wouldn’t work in all cases, but it could be better than the jittery climbing.

1 Like

I think it’s better if the default climbing gets fixed though, rather than having to hack a fix into it?

@Lightlimn

this would work for some cases but my game has a lot of really long ladders, which would be far more difficult to make it work well.

6 Likes

I was actually talking about this

Luanoid was just a port from the C++ code roblox is using in their humanoid into lua code.

Not everyone wants to use Luanoid though. Humanoids still have loads of useful features that I’m assuming Luanoid does not have. I know I wouldn’t want to remake all of that just to achieve better ladder behavior.

Luanoid, while being a great community resource, shouldn’t really be considered a solution to this problem.

3 Likes

I agree. That’s why I believe that the default behaviour should get a fix so I have a proposition. Maybe as soon as the character starts climbing, the HumanoidRootPart (which I believe is responsible for climbing behaviour) is rotated so it is parallel to the surface it’s climbing on? This way you would also fix it looking awkwardly tilted away from the character.

5 Likes