I made a one-time CAPTCHA for scam bots

Update: I turned this into a community resource, and added a stronger Version 2. Check it out here: CaptchaTheFlag - Protect your game from bots

A chat module looks for popular phrases said by scam bots such as “I just got TONS of Robux” or “Visit scam.website in your browser to generate Robux”. If a chat message is flagged, it blocks it from being sent to the rest of the clients and tells the server to present a CAPTCHA to the suspected scam bot.

Try it here: https://www.roblox.com/games/5099320249/Captcha-Demo. It’s not exploit-proof, but most exploiters are humans anyways

Any feedback on the UI or thoughts about the approach itself?

51 Likes

I think instead of detecting specific phrases, you should present it at the very beginning when a player joins. That way you don’t have to waste time on checking for phrases because you’ll never be able to get them all. And make sure to not spawn their character so they can’t move it around or at least make them immobile.

Bypassed your chat-flagging system.

I also recommend adding pictures of like a bus and asking that users select all images of a bus, like a real CAPTCHA.

15 Likes

maybe u can just do that captcha at the starting and if they dont complete it in 1 min they are kicked because scambots also use resources

5 Likes

I think this defeats the purpose, but I really like the simplicity of the UI design. If the exploiter does bypass the captcha client side, at least have a system on the server to counter it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

scam bots usually just join, send a message and leave after like 3 seconds

4 Likes

I have seen spam bots being in the game all the time and sending those messages

1 Like

I get the idea of the game, I don’t understand how I was able to bypass your Captcha though.

A little more work I’d think.

Wow! This is great! You should make this into a community resource! You could even make it a plugin so everyone can implement this into their game. Maybe with a bit of modification, you could use this to stop spammers too.

2 Likes

Wow maybe try making it if you say the same thing twice make a menu poping up saying “You already said that” but overall, nice way to prevent the bots

You should add filters for keywords like ‘get robux’ or whatever to help nullify the most common phrases.

5 Likes

Cool system, but how is the CAPTCHA supposed to know if the player is actually a bot? I think a bot could easily move its mouse to the button position and click(Correct me if I’m wrong).

2 Likes

Wow cool! I would put that in my game so whenever they joined and wanted to use the chat, they would have to do that. But, once they do it once when they were in the game they would never have to do it again!

I would make it like tilt a ball to the correct way up or something like that.

This is amazing, but I recommend filtering a little bit of more stuff and slightly improve the system.

3 Likes

You and a few other replies to this topic suggested presenting the Captcha on a player’s first join, which is a good idea because it’s impossible to filter every single scam phrase. However I don’t think it would be a good idea to turn it into a “reCAPTCHA” where you select images of a prompt because this might lead to loss of players, especially if it’s their first impression of the game

2 Likes

It’s only filtering about 5 popular phrases right now, but I’m probably going to turn it into a prompt on player join like others suggested

1 Like

You should make the Captcha pop up whenever someone types in a string of words like “I got TONS of Robux” or “Get robux” and so on so they can’t scam anyone, you may also want to do this with trading and limited items;

“I got limiteds on”
“Get limiteds here”

and so on.

2 Likes

Amazing capcha ! But I think you should make it uncopilocked to other developers use it .

4 Likes

Adding the limiteds to the filter is a good idea, thanks! And your description is exactly what it’s doing right now lol

Uncopylocked, have fun :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes