I made a The Normal Elevator Clone [Feedback Appreciated!]

Original Post (July 8th, 2023)

Heya there everyone!

Recently I just had the urge to make something similar to The Normal Elevator, since it’s one of my favorite games on the platform and I thought it would be interesting to make. So I did!

It’s very simple at the moment, mostly just made to showcase different functions within it, like the barrier, player teleporting back to elevator, etc. It’s a small 5-ish minute experience right now. Since this isn’t a full game right now, and I don’t exactly plan to, the game is free for you all to copy and mess with.

Here are some images:

…You can tell I’m not the most creative with my elevator design…

As said earlier, there isn’t a lot of meat on it’s bones, and there might be a few bugs or design oversights I haven’t found out about, so as always, it would be appreciated if you could tell me about them! You’re also free to suggest if you have any goofy or horrific things to add, as long as it doesn’t break TOS lol.

Have fun, and thank you!
animoun's wacky elevator game - Roblox

Hello my fellow Robloxians!

On June 8th, I created a weird little clone of The Normal Elevator and other similar elevator games! Since then, I’ve been expanding the project and as of the writing of this update (June 17th, 2023) am still actively trying to develop the game with more content! It has combined all of my hobbies of art, music, and game development all in to one! If you want some of the most up-to-date information, you should probably scroll down to the very bottom of the post to see what I’m up to!

While I do love the game and where it’s at, I still always love feedback and suggestions! So please, by all means, leave your thoughts down below! The game wouldn’t be in the state it’s in right now without people like you speaking your thoughts about it!

As of this moment, there are currently 8 floors and more to come! Current floors include;
Crab Rave
Flood
The Mansion
It’s Pizza Time
Sisyphus Mountain
The Troll
Underwater
and THE VOID

Down below this I’m including different media relating to the game that was made for it; icons, thumbnails, music, art, etc. As well as the game link to play it!

Icons

Original Icon (lasted like 5 minutes lol)
ELEVATORgameIcon
Current Icon (lasted more than 5 minutes)
image_2023-07-17_184448481

Thumbnails

Art

Below are images used for the in-game menus, they jiggle in the game!
ELEVATORjiggle1
ELEVATORmenu1a
ELEVATORserver1a
ELEVATORglobal1a

This image is used for the Sisyphus ball. It’s got a goofy 'lil face. :3

Below are some of the paintings made for the Mansion floor.

Music

Animoun - Sisyphus
Currently the only song made exclusively for the game, mostly ambient based track made by myself.

Here’s a quick little poll to give me your thoughts on the whole experience;

• I love it!
  • It was great!
  • It was a good time.
  • It’s meh.
  • Not a fan.
  • Wasn’t very good.

0 voters

Thank you everyone for the feedback and support over this silly little project of mine! It wouldn’t be where it is without you all!

11 Likes

Is the game meant to be uncopylocked, because it is currently.
I feel that the game could use some thumbnails and a description to describe how the game would be. Even if you tried to recreate a popular game, you can still add your own “floors” which the elevator can go to.

:smile_cat: Suggestions/Bugs

1. Shiftlock for player should probably be disabled to prevent Players from glitching out.
  2. You can try to expand the elevator, or disable Player collisions as it seems a little squeezy among Players.
  3. The elevator doesn’t choose random floors. Instead, it just go through a particular order of floors before stopping at this one. Had to rejoin another server.
4 Likes

Thanks for leaving a message!

Yes, the game is meant to be uncopylocked, as since it’s just me messing around, I think anyone should be able to use the system I’ve created!

While the first two I am working to fix, you accidently caught me at a bad time with that last one, accidently updated the place with a bug. As for the randomness, it’s like this currently due to complete randomness making some floors really rare for some odd reason, and I’m working on a weighted floor system. But that’s taking a bit of time.

Again, thank you for the feedback you’ve given me! Definitely working on the stuff you’ve mentioned!

4 Likes

As of right now, some of the bugs and suggestions are now completed and live, won’t be able to work any more tonight but I’ll still be reading the thread if there are any more comments or suggestions!

4 Likes

Fixed up some of the major bugs, cut some of the floor fat, added a new floor, and badges! Would definitely like some feedback to see how it all feels now.

Hopefully later today or tomorrow I’ll work on the weighed chance for floors and music.

Edit: Here’s a little peak at what the new floor is. ;>

5 Likes

Sorry for the insanely delayed reply. Would be willing to try your game out again!

Here’s a list of suggestions I’ve compiled from playing your game:

• Thumbnail looks stretched out.
  • For the sea level, I feel that you could adjust the Gravity to better suit the atmosphere of the floor being underwater.
  • You should add some Player Stats, like the number of floors they have been through, and coins which are awarded after every floor, and can also be picked up if the floor allows the Player to enter it.
  • A shop should be added for exclusive gears that can only be bought with coins. You can even add a badge for Players who have bought all the gears in the shop.
  • Shiftlock for players is still not disabled. If you require help with this, disabling/enabling shiftlock is a property under the StarterPlayer service.

I can admire the reason why you did so, but this brings up the problem on a Player straight-up stealing and re-uploading your game without editing it. I would suggest that you make a seperate game that has placeholder floors for the Player to edit, and make the main game unable to be copied. You can link to the uncopylocked placeholder game in the main game’s description.

I can see that there is a significant difference in terms of floors and the variety! Badges are a great way of getting players to play your game further in order to achieve them, so it’s great that you’ve added them into the game! :melting_face:

3 Likes

Thank you for the additional feedback! It’s alright that you haven’t gotten back until now, honestly wasn’t expecting you to play it again anyways!

Didn’t notice this, will fix ASAP!

That’s a great idea! Surprised I didn’t think of that, I’ll do that next time I work on the game!

These are both some interesting ideas, not totally sure what I would do for them, but I’ll still give the suggestion some thought!

Yes indeed, after some thought, I decided that I didn’t want to disable it. Mostly because I personally don’t like it off. Even if myself and others can clip out the walls.

Ah yeah, that’s a fair point. I might go through with your idea with making a separate version as just a kit instead of the full game. Maybe if I stop working on the game I’ll go back to how it is now, similar to how Light Bulb eventually went uncopylocked.

Once again, thank you very much for all the feedback! I’m glad you like the new variety and badges. As always, all your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Hopefully I’ll be able to get almost everything other than the item shop done tonight.

3 Likes

I lied, ended up making new thumbnails and a new logo.

New Thumbnails:

New Icon:
ELEVATORgameIcon

2 Likes

The thumbnails look pretty decent. As for the icon, the text is pretty hard to read due to the other effects around it, and considering the game’s name is long. You might want to try to have a background of one of the floors, but a bit blurred.

1 Like

Ah, yeah I see it, I’ll make something new!

As for the floor data, that’s finished! I made a neat little animated icon for the floor counter, a little jiggling elevator.
Everything saves and all, I’m trying to work on some other save data stuff, such as a leaderboard and total time played, but I think I’ll go ahead and publish this and some of the other changes, such as the lower gravity on the underwater floor, updated badge scripts, as well as some new tunes (mostly created by me), and other minor fixes and changes!

2 Likes

How do you feel this one looks in comparison? To me it seems much more legible.

Edit: I’d also like to quickly thank you for all the feedback you’ve been giving me throughout all this, it’s very appreciated!

2 Likes

I guess it’s slightly better. The pixels are still slightly hard to read the text, but I think that this should work.

Try uploading it as your icon and viewing it from your homepage.

2 Likes

Here’s how I could see it:

Also tested it to see how small it could be on my art program before I couldn’t read it and I got just about this far.

2 Likes

Well, it looks quite good now! Keep up the good work! :melting_face:

2 Likes

GREAT NEWS! It all works server-side now!

By clicking on the little elevator icon, you can open up the floor leaderboard and toggle between Server and Global leaderboards! Currently Global isn’t fully implemented yet, it still has a few kinks to work out, so here’s an IOU for now-

Hopefully it’ll be done tomorrow.

I’ve thought about the shop idea, and I think it could be interesting if for it you could purchase different banners for the leaderboards, currently I can have one, hope to maybe change that in the futrue!

1 Like

Global Floor Leaderboards are now live and well (hopefully)!

All it’ll take is a join and you’ll be added, it is however worth noting that the leaderboard updates on both the server and client every 5 minutes! If you’re impatient, a quick re-join on a fresh server should make it immediately visible!

Can’t wait to see how the leaderboard will stack up. ;>

are you a synapse x owner? perchance?

I have no idea what that is, so I assume no. Why do you ask?

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

Updated the main post to be more accurate and feature more information relevant to the game’s current state! As well as that, we got two new floors, the Mansion and Sisyphus Mountain, the latter contains a totally fun and cool badge that doesn’t make me want to cry!

Also fixed up the menus to give it more of the jiggle style, updated the music system to play client-sided, as well as some other misc. changes.

Would love to get feedback on this update and all the new content and changes!

1 Like

Here are some suggestions/bug reports so far. Some may be about older features:

1. Floor Counter not updating, but the GUI which the Floor Counter brings up when it’s clicked seems to be updated.
  2. You probably should only add the floor stat to the Player after they finish the floor without dying etc, instead of automatically awarding them the floors when the elevator goes to a new floor.
  3. For this floor, it seems slightly empty. You might want to add props like bookshelves, or maybe a case of instruments without the Piano. I also feel that this floor could use a secret badge, maybe when a Player goes through a certain painting? To fit with the vibe of the floor, you might also want to slow the Player down as it gives a slightly mysterious feel.
  4. For the crab rave floor, I feel that you should add invisible walls around the map to prevent the Player from falling off. Unless you have some secrets in plan, it seems pretty pointless to allow Players to walk off into the void.
1 Like