I need help disabling ROBLOX chat read description

Hello there!

I have a custom chat for my game and I want to disable the classic chat and the bubble chat at the same time so only my custom chat is the only one that appears when a player talks but I don’t know how to do it so I wanted to know if anyone knows how to do that, I don’t even know if it’s possible or not but I hope that it is.

I can disable the classic chat and leave the bubble chat on so my custom chat appears but the two of them would appear at the same, also I don’t force you to create scripts for me I just want you to tell me how can I do it.

The reason why I can’t just simply disable these two together is because ROBLOX won’t let people chat if I do that.

Use StarterGui:SetCoreGuiEnabled and iirc there’s an option to disable bubble chat in the Chat service.
hth!

Are you sure if I disable both the Bubble Chat and the Classic Chat then I do that then ROBLOX will still let people use the chat?

Just try it out. If it doesn’t work then I’ll find another solution. Plenty of games do this so it shouldn’t be a problem.

1 Like

Ok so I tried doing

game.StarterGui:SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.Chat, true)

But it still didn’t work I also put it in a Local Script inside StarterPlayerScripts

I don’t understand why it doesn’t work do I need to get each player by using a for i, v loop or something? this is very confusing.

There are also no errors in the output.

You’ve set it to true. Change it to false.
A pairs loop is only if you’re handling it from a server side script.

I’m trying to enable the chat while the Classic Chat and Bubble Chat are off and so enabling it to true is what I can do here because I want the chat to be enabled not disabled.

So setting it to false will disable it and it won’t work that way.

You can do this:

1. Press play in studio
  2. Go into Chat and copy ClientChatModules
  3. Stop and paste the ClientChatModules into Chat
  4. Edit the ChatSettings module script

Sir please if it was that easy then I wouldn’t be here right now because I obviously did that and it didn’t work… so I am trying to see if there’s an another solution for this.

1 Like

What happens is that when I try to disable the classic chat AND the bubble chat the chat just disappears it won’t work anymore even if I have a custom chat for the game.

That’s an issue with your custom chat then.

I don’t know if it is or not I just want someone to confirm if there is a solution for this problem or if it’s not possible to do this and even if it was a problem from my custom chat how can I fix it?

I am not telling you to help me remake my custom chat I am just saying that if it’s a problem from my custom chat then what Services or APIs would fix this problem? or if it’s a simple line of code then what is it?

Also if it is seriously a problem with my custom chat how can you confirm this? do you have any proof? I want to know if it’s a 100% a problem from my custom chat so I wouldn’t waste hours and hours trying to fix it just to know that it’s not even possible…

If your custom chat disappears when disabling the normal chat then clearly that’s a problem with your custom chat. You’ve linked it somehow.

That’s still not very informative, sir, I still don’t know how to fix this problem if it’s a problem from my custom chat system but what I can tell you is that when bubble chat is turned on both my custom chat and the bubble chat are gonna send the same player message when the player talks.

Also as I said if it’s a problem from my custom chat system then how do I fix it? by saying “how do I fix it” I am once again not telling you to help me remake the entire custom chat system I am just asking if there’s any Services or APIs that when used can fix this problem I also still don’t know if it’s a 100% a problem from my custom chat system.

Heres good documentation on the subject of Roblox’s current chat system.

Again as others mentioned, you want to use the SetCoreGuiEnabled function to remove the default chat. Then support your own chat in a custom UI or make modifications to roblox’s original chat scripts. The problem does seem to be in the functionality of your custom UI chat modules or code.

But please know, a scripting problem is hard to solve without script or directory context. So nobody can be incredibly informative in this case.

It’s possible that your custom chat is based off the default chat (unless you made it and you know for sure). I recommend playtesting, copying the chat modules (under the Chat service), and then copying them into the chat service after the playtest it stopped and editing the config to disable it.

Okay so from what I have understood from you so far is that I have to take the custom chat system to roblox’s original chat scripts and remake the entire custom chat system there somehow right?

Because if I try to remove the default chat and then enable the chat it doesn’t seem to work, I don’t think that this even makes sense.

But by enabling the Classic Chat and then disabling the Bubble Chat this problem is fixed but I just wanted to know if this can work if I disable both the Classic Chat and the Bubble Chat.

It’s not based off the default chat it’s almost scripted from scratch entirely on it’s own I know this sounds complicated but it really isn’t it’s simple the default ROBLOX Bubble Chat has nothing to do with my custom chat

But from what I have understood from @greatgavin so far is that I have to remake the entire custom chat system to be inside the default ROBLOX’s Bubble Chat system.

But if I do that then I don’t even know if my custom chat system would even still be considered to be a “custom” chat system but this seems to be the only solution to this for now.

Also I obviously tried disabling both the Classic Chat and the Bubble Chat from ROBLOX’s Chat Settings.