I Need Help Making Mountains

• What are you attempting to achieve? I want to make the border of my map mountains.

• What is the issue? I can’t seem to find a easy way to generate mountains the way I want them to!

• What solutions have you tried so far? I tried to look for some plugins, but they are hard to use.

3 Likes

Low poly simple mountains on Blender are actually quite easy to create. There are plenty of online resources e.g. YouTube to get you started with it.

Or if you’d like an easier approach, I’d recommended this terrain plugin by DataBrain

1 Like

I’m not quite looking for low poly kind of builds, I’m trying to make a more realistic game. Thank you for the help though!

1 Like

Well, I suggest using Blender, if you don’t what that is it is basically a 3D software where you can make Meshes for your Roblox game, or any game it can be there is if course other software but this is the most used for making Roblox meshes. It doesn’t have to be low poly you can add textures to it! Or make the mesh separate so it won’t be a hassle. If you don’t seem interested in it or maybe too hard just try to build on some of your own I’m sure you can do it. :sweat_smile:

If roblox terrain doesn’t suit what your looking for I suggest finding a tutorial omline on creating terrain in other 3D applications and importing via obj/fbx. It’s not that difficult to create terrain in softwares such as blender. High poly assets may need a bit of practice but low poly is very easy to achieve and can make it look really nice and high res. compared to roblox terrain.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you’re going for more realistic looking than this or not but i used a part-to-terrain plugin to make the basic shape of the base of the mountains and then used a Smooth Terrain Save/Load plugin to save mountain ranges from randomly generated terrain in another place.

I selected the areas i liked with the Terrain Editor regions select tool and then clicked save which added terrain sections as items into the explorer window which could then be added into the clipboard, pasted into your game’s workspace and then moved to the correct position using the Terrain editor regions tools.
I then used the Grow, Erode, Smooth, and Paint tools to mould the saved terrain into my rougher base.
However, even with these tools these two smaller mountain ranges did take much longer than anticipated with the river added and when you zoom out the detail of the terrain warps creating annoying situations such as this which aren’t good for those showcase pictures you might be after.
Although smooth terrain is has come a long way it still has a long way to go before it’s perfected. If you want a good mountain-range within a reasonable time-frame i would recommend taking up the advice of others on this thread and look into creating terrain in Blender or elsewhere and importing it as a mesh. (especially if it’s not intended to be climbed on)

Terrain Save/Load plugin
Part-to-Terrain plugin

Hope this helps :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for the help! Your information will be used greatly.