ICYMI: Experience controls test starting November 20!

I’m gonna be honest this is one of the few recent changes that I genuinely hate.
Not because it’s actually bad but because it is extremely inconvenient to have to open that to turn off my chat. Every time I playtest (a lot of times) I have to repeat those steps to click on a button that’s obscured by the chat which is very annoying to me.
“Well just place the button somewhere else then?”
The issue isn’t the actual button placement, my playtest screen is small and the chat occupies a lot of space in it.

3 Likes

What? I don’t quite get what you mean.

I don’t want some hacky stuff like that, I want a dedicated button for the chat.

1 Like

Thank you @JuiceBoxYoda for the headsup on this. I have released update using the new topbar safe insets. Love it. :smile: :+1: :+1:

I mean that if you open the chat using slash key, it closes (maybe after some time) when you send the message (you can reopen with slash key)

It already does that right now except it reappears when you hover over it, which is annoying too, since I then have to wait again for it to disappear.

I totally agree with the old UI being bad, but the new one isn’t a whole lot better. Back when there was the topbar, it was really simple, chat button and backpack to the left, leaderboard to the right, just click it to open and close it.

Now that the leaderboard isn’t on the topbar, on mobile it got really confusing, since you can no longer click it. On top of that the leaderboard is objectively worse (can’t see your stats when closed), which is why I started work on a custom leaderboard and want the right corner to be empty.

Now that literally everything is in the menu thing, I guess that makes it a little better. Well a tiny bit…

And yes, I do often open and close the chat. If I am not chatting with others, I will close it for more visibility, then open it from time to time to see messages and close it again.

2 Likes

I mean’t “closing”, not “dissapearing”, while “closed” it wouldn’t detect mouse hover.

I think these complaints could be valid. This is a social platform (Roblox can surely agree with that), so hiding the chat button behind two clicks just seems like bad UX, I like to close the chat box when I’m playing but open it a lot to talk, I imagine other users do the same.

I feel like the chat button should perhaps take some priority. Roblox Menu / Chat / Other Options.

2 Likes

I agree with you on this reply.

1 Like

My previous point still stands.

1 Like

Screenshot_20231116_225237

Wish there’s an API to change icons and size for these 2 buttons too, and a control over the icon whenever a cursor is hovered at the top left or not to hide or make those icon transparent.

also an API to get MRU buttons displayed on top when started cuz we don’t always want to have it this way, it’s a total killer for those getting into game since days ago.

I have to respect your opinion on this.

1 Like

Do you have any plans to open source this? If it’s a button that toggles the existing chat menus I think people would really like it.

1 Like

It’s even worse than previous version.

4 Likes

personally the changes to the ui are fine and having a button to toggle the mic instead of the weird chat bubble is nice
though but curtain things kinda bug me, like how theres no way to sort the icons after youve opened them and having to open the bar every time.
if there was maybe some way to set the order of the buttons and have them save between games or some way to have buttons outside of the bar that would be awesome
also maybe having an option to move the leaderboard to the top so its not offset downwards

still like the old one ui more though, feels more compact and less awkward to use

also whats the point of the self view?
its just kinda a buggy version of your character model for no reason
does it really need a button thats always on the toolbar over something like the chat or backpack?
maybe its for the face tracking but why is it there when i dont have it enabled (both in the account settings and on the game)
correction: the chat IS a button thats always on the first bar, i just didnt see it at first

1 Like

Great! Can’t wait for the Core UI to be completely overhauled again two years from now. Why do you enjoy torturing your players with constant, unfavorable change? You obviously aren’t great at this – just let us do it ourselves.

5 Likes

I tend to open and close the chat a ton, i dont like having the chat open constantly cause then theres just a wall of text on the top left of my screen but i still want to be able to read the chat

1 Like

I feel like just saying “oh if you cant adapt to small changes you shouldnt be a game developer” is really ignorant, alot of games have different uis. some have a little some have alot. some have to shift around a ton of stuff and redesign alot of buttons to make them fit with the new ui like I have to
not ever game is the same

4 Likes

I personally really don’t like this change, especially the way that you need to do 2 steps to open and close the chat. Also, there is other factors to consider, like other projects similar to Topbar Plus that a lot of games use, including mine, and we’ll have to remake the whole UI navigation.

Also, think about mobile players. The chat button is going to be really annoying to open. And I know there is a lot of people that are saying that “you don’t really open or close the chat a lot”, but mobile players do, and they tend to do that a lot. And that the chat box takes a lot of space up on small screens and it’s going to be a pain to constantly get in and out of the chat.

Please give us an option to use the old UI instead of this. This is going to ruin a ton of games UI.

1 Like