IDEAS FOR HORROR GAME NPCS (Monsters)

I am making a “Horror” game that is pretty far into development however I am lacking in ideas for NPCs that will attack the player.

I already have 3 NPCs:

• The first one will do an attack and tackles you and you have to spam a keybind to get them off you,

• the second one is basic chase you and stab you killer that has a knife,

• the 3rd one can’t kill you, however it can put you to sleep and you either have to wake yourself up by waiting or getting a teamate to wake you up

Info about the game so you can understand what type of NPC to suggest:

• The game is set in a 2 story decently sized house

• To win the game you have to survive a certain amount of time (3AM to 4AM)

• Up to 6 teamates

• The game can change every 10 minutes: 3:10AM means a monster will spawn, at 3:20AM an event will happen, etc.

more info on game if needed:

3/6 NPCs ACCEPTED

6 Likes

Nun… It’ll either be friendly or hostile

4 Likes

This might not be what you’re looking for but how about a monster that grabs you from the ceiling?

4 Likes

Good idea, that can be used well to distract players and catch them off guard

2 Likes

Here’s another one: An npc that has a 50% chance to be friendly and a 50% chance to be hostile so players don’t know what to expect. That would really scare them if they’re more used to friendly ones.

4 Likes

also a pretty good idea, maybe when a player approaches it it has a 50% to heal them and a 50% to damage them

3 Likes

elaborate on how it will act? will it float through walls, stun players, etc.

1 Like

If the Nun is friendly, then:

• It will lead players to some safe place
  • It will give players items to help them survive (flashlight, map… etc.)

If the Nun is hostile, then:

• It will lead players to rooms and kill them
  • It will give players items that might kill them or make it harder for them to survive (inaccurate map, poison… etc.)

Make sure that these Nuns have identical clothes so that it can confuse the players; Now, the way how this Nun would interact with players is to make it follow a random player and make it talk to them (Press E to speak with Nun) there will be two options, “Accept” or “Refuse” this will fit perfectly if the Nun is trying to lead them into a room or trying to give them an item; If the player ignores the Nun (for example, 10 seconds) it will leave and target another player.

3 Likes

amazing suggestion! i will definitely take time and try to implement this. i have a question though, how would the nun change its hostile/friendly status? could it be everytime the nun gets interacted with, after the interaction it will change status with a 50% chance?

1 Like

a while ago i had a concept for a game:
there were “ghosts” which roamed around a map, and obviously players had to avoid the ghosts.
but the ghosts only ever interacted with the players and players could only see the ghosts when the map’s lights were turned off, which they were meant to do at random intervals for different lengths of time.

so theoretically players can believe themselves safe in a room only to be ambushed when the lights went out. the idea was to keep players paranoid about where they were–whether to fortify themselves inside a room which could potentially also have a ghost or to walk around the hallways which let them move more freely if they encountered danger

there’s a little more detail here, in concept 1(?)

2 Likes

amazing idea considering how players will try to hide in rooms where monsters wouldnt usually go to. it keeps the player movin around on their feet and makes the game more intense

1 Like

When it spawns there’s a 50% chance of it being hostile or friendly

2 Likes

im actually going on a different approach which after a player interacts with it, it will have a 50/50 of being friendly or hostile

1 Like