IgnorePostProcess for SurfaceGuis and IgnoreRenderDistance for Parts

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to have 3D HUDs that aren’t affected by post-process effects such as Blur, or to have huge, distant objects (such as planets or other celestial bodies).

Let’s start with IgnorePostProcess: I have a HUD made up of a chat box and a hotbar, and when the player presses Tab, it opens/closes the inventory (blurring and desaturating the world when it’s open). Now here’s the problem: I want to move the HUD to SurfaceGuis to make it 3D, but that means I have to ditch the blur/desaturation effect while the inventory is open, else chat will become unreadable. There’s no way to have a 3D HUD that isn’t affected by post-process effects. Edit: Didn’t know AlwaysOnTop Guis ignored post-process!

Now the fun one: I want to add realistically (or at least reasonably, i.e. they’re still large enough to be believable) sized celestial bodies to my game, far off in the distance. Being able to set parts to always render (even past the current maximum render distance) would enable this, as I currently only have the option of either having a much smaller part that’s much closer, or having a huge part that suddenly pops in at a few thousand studs away. Neither option is great.

Now for the potential cons to each:

I actually can’t think of any for having SurfaceGuis ignoring post-process effects, though correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t pretend to know everything about the rendering pipeline.

I can see how having parts render at effectively unlimited distances would be a problem, though, especially if too many of them have the property enabled. If I were to hazard a guess, I’d say the performance impact would be negligible if the developer didn’t set too many parts to ignore render distance?

Thanks for reading, I’m going to go scream at Studio some more.

Edit: This only just turned up after posting this thread: The ability to force parts to render

11 Likes

AlwaysOnTop true Billboard and SurfaceGuis are not effected by post processing, so you should be fine if you don’t want other objects to obscure your guis.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.