I'm a beginner at 3D Modeling

Hello there, I hope you’re having a Happy New year! I’d like to thank you for coming to read this, I really need your help! :slight_smile:

I’ve been a serious builder for about a year, I decided to experiment and expand my skills. I came across 3D modeling and that’s what I’m focusing on right now. I’m totally new to blender and need a way to get professional at it or at least know how to work blender so I can practice on there and improve my skills. Note: I USE BLENDER 2.81 I DON’T HAVE THE SAME SHORTCUTS AT 2.79 SORRY CAPS.

Does anyone want to share or is willing to share how they got good at blender and recommend me some ways to get good at it too. I’m also asking for a good youtube channel to teach 3D modeling and also doesn’t throw things in your face. I also need to know what I should start off with and build up to. I need to know as much knowledge as I can on 3D modeling so I can make some models for my game.

I’m really new, please drop down below some ways I can learn 3D modeling and also drop some tips and tricks, that will help me greatly.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it!

4 Likes

At first choose a path, Organic Modeling or Hard Surface modeling, as you are a beginner i would suggest going into Hard Surface modeling, this covers all of what humans can make, from guns to structures and assets, Organic Modelling needs other ways to approach the goal of making characters for example, like Sculpting and other techniques, try this later.

The first thing is suggest you to make is a gun, but not a simple one mostly try Assault or large Rifles, aim for the big stuff always even if you dont yet know how to make it.

Also aim for Realism, if you can do Realism the process of making Low Poly style is much easier (Not to confuse it with Cartoon style)

Try this video, follow each step by step, anything that doesnt work like in the video (Key Shortcuts) Search them on the blender forum, you might be using blender 2.81 and they changed most of the shortcuts, each version they seem to change them so search what you dont know in their forums.

1 Like

I use 2.81 so the tutorial below is kind of hard to follow for me, but thanks! I really appreciated it! I will try and follow it :smiley:

Try searching them on the forums, or try to import the old 2.7 shortcuts to the 2.81 version, it is possible, answer on their forums too.

Once you are making stuff remember always you are on 3d space, some people tend to work just on one axis which difficults their learning, remember you gotta work on 3 axis so your gun doesnt end looking decent from the side boot looks bad from the front.

1 Like

Thanks! I definitely appreciate that! I totally needed this! Also I hope you’re having a happy new year! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think its wonderful you are trying to get into 3D modeling! I love seeing people get into modeling, but most of the time I do see them quit. Learning 3D modeling can be very time consuming and does take lots of work and research. It will be hard at first but you need to push through and after you get the basics of blender modeling, it should be easier. I’d recommend for a beginner like you to get use to using hot keys and experimenting with all the tools and modifiers. If you learn how those all work it will definently speed many things up. Also, don’t push yourself too hard when making models and comparing yourself to more professional people. It’s a really easy way to burn out and quit before everything gets good.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try to experiment with the hot keys, I use blender guru since he has a pdf on hot keys and talks about how to use them but they’re more on the curvy objects instead of sharp objects like making a kitchen or a tree.

Blender Guru has a good tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPrnSACiTJ4
Start there and follow thw whole tutorial

2 Likes

Yes, he is very good! I learned alot from him. :slight_smile:

I would suggest looking at people modeling for now and then starting with simple things and tutorials. Anyways that’s how I started. :smile:

1 Like

For low poly terrain type stuff, there’s a great series of tutorials on this guy’s channel.
Grant Abbitt also has some great tutorials on modelling and texturing.

Personally, I’ve been getting better by just practicing, using google to get reference and help. Using blender becomes like second nature after a few weeks so just stick to it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Blender is not difficult to learn, 2.8 just recently came out - it is fresh and there are many tutorials for it. My advice would be to start by making something simple, like an anvil, building or a chair. Try to simplify everything you do since it is going to be a lot more manageable, do not model something complicated like a character or organic/detailed surfaces.

Here are some links on controls, shortcuts and simple modeling tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF1qEhBSfq4&list=PLa1F2ddGya_-UvuAqHAksYnB0qL9yWDO6
https://myelearninghub.com/blender-shortcuts/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtfXeQ6YKOs

2 Likes

Thank you! I totally needed those sources, I’m gonna check em’ out right now! :slight_smile:

1 Like