I'm working on an RPG game, Fantasia.

Hello all! You may have seen my post in the art forum about the music I composed for this game. I present a very early version of my game, Fantasia: Ascend to Myth.

Discord Server: Fantasia RPG

The game has a lot of inspirations from games that I have played, including: Runescape, Dark Souls, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, and even Overwatch. I want to create a world that isn’t too serious, and has a lot of very intriguing and fun areas to explore and items/powers to obtain. I want there to be an emphasis on player agency: you get to decide where you go and what you want to achieve. You can grind to get extra cool stuff, but you really will never have to (I hate required grinding…)

Anyway, I have just finished the first chunk of content for the game: a small section of the Ancient Ruins which the game will be centered around, and a tutorial sequence for each of the main stats. I figure since I actually have something to show now, I should see what people think so far.

There will be a series of zones that the player progresses through. Each zone will have its own distinct theme. The “hub” of the game will be the Ancient Ruins, which connects all of the zones together and will be full of areas to explore as well. As you progress through these zones your character becomes immensely powerful. Upon completing the game, you ascend to godhood and join the gods in what is basically this universe’s Olympus, which will be the final zone. I want it to feel like when you would finally get to the VIP area of an obby back in the day :slight_smile:

A secondary goal for this game (which I may or may not continue to do) is to successfully make it without very much help. I am trying to make the bulk of the content for the game, including: 3d models, area building, music, shirts/pants. This is in addition to coding the game, which is already at 15k lines of code. Currently, the weakest area of mine is probably clothesmaking/texturing. I would consider hiring people to cover these weaknesses once the game is rolling and I have an actually income to pay them with.

FYI: You have max stats by default in this build. You should be able to equip any item and buy any item from the Dev NPC’s shop. Have fun, there’s a lot of cool stuff already.

Here are some screenshots that will hopefully catch your eye! I can’t really convey a lot of the coolest parts of the games mechanics with screenshots though, so please give it a test if you are intrigued.

18 Likes

Looks cool, love rpgs. You should add more detail to some of the builds as it looks a little plain and kinda looks like it has nothing to do with an rpg. Some design to the walls would be nice :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great game so far. Although, I recommend adding more detail towards the builds and if you can, change up the GUIS.

1 Like

Huh I like this a lot
I think the UI is a bit small, but overall, its a very good project :slight_smile:

1 Like

@BrinnyBlox @Luxorz

Yeah, I agree that the builds are in need of some extra spice. I will look into learning some new building techniques. So far, I’ve really enjoyed the amount of technique and knowledge I’ve learned while working on all areas of the game. Making 3d models, coding, composing, and designing things have all been pretty fun and interesting activities. Thanks for the compliments!

@HowIt_Do Heard that before, I will consider it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really like the concept, seems like something a lot of people would consider to grind, if you’re looking for someone to help redesign the game with UI, I’d love to help.

1 Like

My thoughts

I love the game. I can tell you put the extra effort in the small details.

• I like the smooth fight animations. Makes it fun to play
  • I like the quest lines. And actually having to do the quest instead of a defeat this monster here.
  • I like the abilities. The most OP one is the fireball. I can wipe groups with that.

Improvements

• In the merchant shop please add some sort of level indicator for each item so we know which is the better one and sort from lowest to highest
  • Add a better indicator on Health damage. Sometimes I forget I’m being damaged
  • Will there be and R15 support in the future?
  • Will there be any shadowmap support in the future?
  • If inventory full notification should popup
  • More detail to environment
  • More animated environment such as wobbly trees, regular moving npcs (farmers, villagers, etc.)
  • Epic team boss battles (no one person can defeat unless their over-leveled (but I think you are adding them later on)
  • Change currency from tix. It doesn’t sound very rpg unless you want this to be a roblox esq rpg?
  • I don’t think the UIs need changing. Functionality is more important
  • Maybe in the future add some voice acted lines. I just skip those dialogues.
  • Please add controls for arrow keys. Some people don’t use wasd.
  • Please add mobile controls.
  • The selection circle for mage gets glitchy around small parts like the paths and the farm
  • Magic missile misses a lot. Even at far distances
  • Can’t use heal. Need divine focus level 1?
  • At some point it started to lagg a lot. See video for link. I checked my connection and I have 92mbps down and 24ms. The game abilities start to not work properly.
3 Likes

Hey, lateregistration I played the game for a bit and Its nice to see another RPG with builds and classes that you can route on. I love variety in RPGs and hate games where everyone uses the exact same items cause they are the “Best”, but it seems as if you keep with the many variety of stats that should not be an issue.

That being said I also am a big sucker for sound design and the game was pretty poor on that end, every hit was followed by a hit marker noise from an fps. While this is fine in conjunction with other SFX it was sort of getting annoying when everything was followed by a hit marker sound. If you were to add some more sounds such as swinging noises when swinging a sword or an explosion noise on fireball impact. By the way I think the hit marker noise is a great way to invoke satisfaction towards a hit but it gets quite annoying after a bit. Not saying remove the hit marker, just tone it down and mix in some more sounds.

I also think the move animations such as fireball are great, the actual tossing of the fireball is cool looking and well made. But the actual projectile is what looks nice not the player animation. It might be a bit hard to explain but the players movements with a lot of the attacks look very weak and not very choreographed. Like if you were to put more motion into the body and larger arcs with the animation I think that would fix what I’m talking about. Its just I can’t feel the force behind my hits and that sort of makes everything especially from swords feel weak.

The last thing i’d like to say is UI layout is great, I’d say everything is where it should be. But I think you should add gradients or some more depth to the UI. Its very flat and uninteresting not very eye catching. But good luck man! I hope your RPG project goes well!

1 Like

I really like this game, a really well done with this!

I hope there are more updates in the near future, this is starting off to be really amazing, and I’m intrigued to find more things!
Everything @ash877 pointed out is on point.

1 Like

Great response, thank you! You really seem like you would be a useful person to give input, I would appreciate it if you would like to stick around and join the discord: Fantasia RPG

My response to improvements suggestions (these are amazing!)

• Shop levels: I will add this to my to do list.
  • Health indicator: I will definitely think of ways to convey it better. Maybe I will add some sound feedback.
  • R15 Support: Currently, I’m trying to stick with a old-schoolish vibe. I kinda dislike R15.
  • Shadowmap support: I think it would improve the games aesthetic. I will have to look into the performance cost though, or make it a setting.
  • Inventory full notification: Good idea, it’s surprising that this never crossed my mind :slight_smile:
  • More detail to environment: I will likely go through at a later point in development and detail stuff. My goal for the last few weeks has been to just create a semi-playable demo.
  • More animated environment: I plan on having some stuff like this. There will be moving platforms and obstacles in the environment. As for the NPCs: there will probably be NPCs out in the environment doing their own thing, not just wandering around. I have a robust enough NPC system to handle this sort of thing.
  • Currency: My initial idea for the game was to base it in the ROBLOX universe, since that would fit the non-serious themes. I plan on having some prominent roblox figures, like the admins, appear as powerful NPCs and enemies. I’ll debate with myself about the tix thing though, I kind of agree that it might fit better as a different currency.
  • UI: I think I could improve upon the UI in general. Currently it seems a bit bland and purely functional. I’ll look into ways to improve its appearance without damaging its functionality.
  • Voice lines: I feel like voice lines wouldn’t fit the games simple, cartoonish aesthetic. Do you think the dialogs are a bit too long for it to hold your attention? I want to make sure people don’t get bored talking to NPCs (I always got bored playing Fallout)
  • Arrow keys: Sure, that wouldn’t be too difficult.
  • Mobile controls: I am not sure how playable this game will be for mobile users. I will definitely consider this though because I want to have as large of a playerbase as possible.
  • AOE placment circle: I’m probably going to make it a sphere so that it displays correctly on all environments, flat or inclined.
  • Magic missile: right now magic missile is kind of feeling neglected, I will add it to my to-do list to make it more accurate and have more FX (it used to but I reworked the projectile system).
  • Heal and Arcane/Divine Focus mechanics: Basically as a balancing mechanic, certain spells have a requirement for an Arcane or Divine focus to be held. Each focus has a level which allows you to cast higher level spells and also causes your lower level spells to become more powerful (firebolt usually does 10 damage but at Arcane Focus Level 30, you deal 50 damage and 100% chance of On Fire debuff.) Heal requires at least a level 1 Divine Focus to be equipped to cast. This system might be a bit complicated but it also is interesting: one handed focuses will have a lower focus level than a two handed focus with the exact same stat requirements. It will be also be possible to find swords / shields and other held items that have focus levels. You could use a sword as an arcane/divine focus which, I think, is sick.
  • Lag issues: Oh man, I hate it when the game does this. I think the item system might be sending infinite updates when another player’s drop becomes visible to everyone else. I will look into this, it is game-breaking. It also could be balefire abilities (arrow or the sword).

I appreciate the offer. Although I probably wouldn’t want to completely redesign it, I would still be interested in hearing your suggestions for improving the UI.

Definitely, I’d love to give you any idea. I think you have an idea with the transparent feel, if you were going for a simplistic idea you could round it out and essentially give it a flare with neutral colors. But you also need to stick with the RPG feel of it, for the ability CD’s, buffs etc i think there could be something more to it, like an icon or giving it something like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV has, they’re both good references of simple RPG’s that utilize minimal function UI. (dont mind bad grammar its late)

@BawxCat Thanks for the compliments! I really agree with you that the gameplay sound design is kind of awful. There are some problems I have to overcome to fix it though: searching the Library for sounds is a headache because ROBLOX’s sound playback in the browser is absolute garbage. ROBLOX’s search function in the Library is also garbage. My best bet, probably, is to either: find a big soundpack that someone else has already uploaded; or buy a soundpack and then spend robux uploading each individual sound. The latter option is incredibly expensive, and I probably could not afford it while also spending robux on uploading 3-4 minute music pieces for the game’s areas.

If anyone knows of a soundpack that I could use, I would really appreciate it.

I agree with you. The one-handed stab and slash animations were made at the beginning of the development process, and since then I learned a lot about animation (the feet dont stay planted and it just generally looks awkward. Especially the stabs). I plan to completely remake most of the early animations. I’m curious what you think about the animations for the Zweihander, Maul, and Greataxe, since those ones are relatively recent (especially the Zweihander.)

I already messed around with gradients once and I actually really liked how it looked, so I agree with your suggestion. I am toying with the idea of buyable UI cosmetics, like a rainbow background for your UI. But the default will also need some adjustment to make it more interesting, I agree.

1 Like

I just looked at the three you suggested I look at, they’re much much much better. I’m glad you plan to remake the rest. If you want audios I often use this mans Paladinzzz2’s Inventory he has uploaded around 600 sound effects and he states “Speaking of sounds, CHECK MY INVENTORY! I have like 600-something SFX uploaded. Feel free to use any of them in your games, scripts, etc” So I guess you could use some of those.

Heres the link to his inventory audio page. https://www.roblox.com/users/273606279/inventory/#!/audio

2 Likes

Awesome, I’m glad that those are decent. I was kinda worried I’d have to remake all of them.

That is an absolute life saver, wow. Thanks a lot, that’s going to save me so much time and money.

Looks great, keep up the good work!

1 Like

This looks like a promising game. I’ll be sure to check on it every few times a month to see what you’ve added. Hopefully it can lift off so I can immerse myself with other players.

I love the Chapel! It really brings out a medieval and “ye olde” type vibe! Exquisite work!

I love your game dude, I don’t agree with the points about adding more details, I think the robloxy feel is the way to good. I do kind of wish I could run around in the game and level up a few hundred times but I understand you’re going through the processes of developing everything :wink:

1 Like