Images do NOT Load if Linked to YOUR About Me and Accessing Developer Forum on Television

Recently, I took an opportunity to see once again how Developer Forum would look in a vision throughout a smart television regarding the surfaces, translations, etc.

I clicked on my profile and I begin to notice that compared to small devices (i.e. tablets, phones, and computers), the images displayed on my description are not appearing, and the texts referenced as Unicode 3164 (U+3164) are not showcasing as expected (in the context of showing spaces with the illusion of creating multiple paragraphs).

Reproduction Steps

1. Open the Developer Forum website;
  2. Create/Edit your topic/reply while copying an image you took in the internet and past on the description;
  3. While adjusting the size/letting the website completely load the media, copy the link;
  4. Go to your account’s settings (Preferences) → Profile and paste in the “About me” section;
  5. Save all changes;
  6. Reload the page and open the summary option.

Expected Behavior
I expected that I could be able to see the media I have linked to my biography from all devices.

Actual Behavior
In a smart television, it seems that it is not possible to view the following electronic, only simple topics and/or replies by users.

iPhone

Television

Issue Area: DevForum
Issue Type: Display
Impact: Low
Frequency: Consistently
Date First Experienced: 2023-03-07 00:03:20 (UTC-3)
Date Last Experienced: 2023-03-07 00:03:40

Specs:

This is bug is occurring if accessing in the browser provided by your smart television.

1 Like

You know, I’m inclined to call this a problem with your TV’s browser app, and not the forum.

1 Like

Not sure if it may be as it works fine if seeing images in replies and/or topics. I tried searching for Zomebody’s profile and the GIF (on his about me) was working normally.

If your Smart TV runs android:

Go to Google Play or sideload a different browser onto your Smart TV. To do this, download an APK file onto a USB stick. Plug it into your TV. Then, you can navigate to the file in Android to install it onto your Smart TV.

Note: Chrome only works if google play services are installed on your Android device, which I don’t think they are.

Hey @SubtotalAnt8185,

I took a few of your instructions to see if the Smart TV runs for Android/iOS/both and eventually, I couldn’t find anything, even seeing the versions of the television as well as the own browser of the electronic.

I have also tried to see if I could install any applications on the TV such as Google/Google Play, yet no results. Tried to see if an alternative could pop up by using the traditional domain of Google and searching for Developer Forum, and going into my profile to see if the images I had could load, but still remains as usual.

The only thing that I could only remember is that the Smart TV works perfectly for both iOS and Android devices if you share the screen. :upside_down_face:

I wouldn’t really say if this is even an issue because, let’s be honest here, who the hell uses a TV for social media.

1 Like

IIRC, more than 40% of people uses television to engage within social medias.

1 Like

And where did you get this fact?

By browsing through the internet to analyse your question! Luckily, I was able to find one from a popular source called “Medium”:

In the article you linked, it says that 40% of TV viewers use social media whilst watching TV through other devices, not that they use the TV for social media:

Research shows that 40% of TV viewers use multiple devices while watching television to engage on social media.

They aren’t using their television for social media already, but that is what the article is saying large companies want to integrate into their TVs.

Reading everything, I could comprehend in another way and could only find articles based on the same concept of how smart televisions are having such an impact with social media applications linked.

My current television contains social media applications and I use most of the time, for simple instance, YouTube.

YouTube is not a social media application in this use case. In your example, it is a content-streaming application like Netflix.

Nobody really uses the TV to browse the web, at least without a keyboard and mouse. There’s a reason why WebTV died off.

Does this happen on other Discourse sites or just here?

1 Like

Good evening, @Hooksmith! How are you doing?

I apologize for the delay but it seemed that my notifications went nuts for some days once not checking out the forum for a bit of an hour… :sweat_smile:

I tried checking out other Discourse websites such as https://meta.discourse.com/ and https://blenderartists.org/ but it seemed that I wasn’t able to find any account with an image on their biography whether than the website telling me that my browser is “outdated” (to note, this also happens on other devices such as mobile). Although, this is unrelated in the end and so, I will say that it happens here.

A TV Browser is not maintained to be compatible with many modern websites…

I mean, the browser warning also happens on my mobile too, which is oddly. I did try to see if I could “resolve”, and it led me to a website called “BrowserHappy”…

Your mobile browser is different from your TV Browser.

What browsers do you use on the TV?
And which do you use in your mobile?

On my TV browser, it is unknown as I couldn’t find any information of its version or network:

On my mobile browser, both the DiscourseHub and Google Chrome application.

Is Google chrome updated? (In the Google play store on your mobile)

Also what brand of TV?

Google Chrome on my phone is indeed updated! :slightly_smiling_face:

My TV brand is LG.