Imgui - Native Support for debugging and visualization

ImGui is designed to enable fast iterations and to empower programmers to create content creation tools and visualization / debug tools

I would like to request that imgui becomes a natively supported tool for debugging & visualization, the tools that are provided by Roblox for debugging aren’t sufficient to meet standards for a programmer that would be tasked with developing systems that has many intricacies that run on specific configuration components.

It’s always paramount for having the ability to diagnose and fine-tune systems at runtime intuitively, whether it be a visual thing or a code bug, and yes there is the task of binding the imgui library functions to Luau for it to be supported but for what its worth it’s a good investment for doing so.

Roblox engine’s used graphics libraries are supported as shown in the image, meaning there’s no issue with device compatibility or graphics libraries or performance.

imgui has many reputable sponsors such as Adobe, NVIDIA, Epic, Google, Activision.
Full Sponsors List

This is a demo of what the debugging tool is capable of bringing and looks like.

32 Likes

Personally I would love this to be added, or someone to port this over. Bit embarrassing but ever since I saw the GTA VI leaks, I was in love with their debug tools! also the console is basically half working most of the time and it’s sometimes hard to track issues with games.

5 Likes

Plasma is an immediate-mode widget library for Roblox, for lovers of ImGui, this will give you the tools you need to develop debugger tools. For example, Matter is a pure ECS library that features a debugger that uses Plasma.

5 Likes

Something like this natively would be amazing, rather than having to port over the thousand or so capability’s.

I’d say this would be amazing. The current stack for in-game debugging has been incredibly disappointing (at least in my opinion), especially for being in 2023; the profiler tools are completely confusing, and the console practically has a 33% chance of working. As a new developer, I have absolutely no idea how the microprofiler tool works, how to use it and what it even does. It looks like some sort of mid 2010s UI (cough) with virtually no way of understanding how it works.

However, if we used ImGui, it would bring a much simpler UI that contains the same, if not more, information as the previous debuggers did. It allows for way more information in one window as opposed to the profiler that does whatever it does, and allows for actual documentation inside of it. Although it could take a while, I believe that the benefits that working on it brings both new and current developers a better time debugging.

I released a UI library which closley imitates Dear ImGui. It can be used for Game UI as well as Debug UI.

7 Likes