Immersive Ads Publisher Learnings and Insights

Apologies, I should have been more clear on what I meant here. It is formatted as research results but it’s unclear how comprehensive they are given the findings are exclusively painting immersive ads in a positive light.

This is what I meant to convey by the above statement.

We have been asking. I’ve personally asked at least 3 times and been ignored every single time alongside countless others like @OutlookG. From what I can tell, this has been one of the most common frustrations with immersive ads.

13 Likes

Are billboard ads ever going to be worth it?

10 Likes

It’s a cool update and I like the justification of new changes to studio. I also like that you asked for feedback and while you aren’t replying, I assume you are looking at it. Great to know that while the income they add isn’t the highest, they add some income and at no cost to experiences. Free money is good!

7 Likes

I think Roblox might be trying to get out of the red zone. They are supposedly 1.73 billion in debt and are probably taking that money so they can fund Roblox. For Roblox to be sustainable it needs to be funded and the health of Roblox is directly tied to the health of developers.

I don’t think it’s wrong for Roblox to take a higher percent than other platforms until they are a profitable company. The platforms you mentioned that give more are companies that have reached profitability(youtube, twitch, google).

9 Likes

Oh yea I get why they are focusing so heavily on advertising, but if they want any sort of substantial supply they need to raise that % we get or the amount they are charging brands, otherwise why would I as a developer or any big developer use this over my own solution/other ad agency where I can get way more money?

10 Likes

I think your view of lowering price to increase sales and overall income is valid.

Roblox View on the Subject
Here it is shown that Roblox is interested in finding a good balance of pay. I believe that the current payout amount is suited for Roblox’s goals to make the platform sustainable for developers and Roblox.

To answer your question on why you should use the Roblox advertising service, you ought to help improve the platform you use instead of outside solutions. The standard pattern for products is to start cheap and raise prices later. Help the platform to get past the cheap phase.

12 Likes

You forgot to add:

• Immersive ads still do not pay enough to justify placing them in your experiences

I seriously look at this and think: what a joke. The post goes out of its way to mention “transparency”, and then only points out the positives as if it’s a new campaign to get developers to ise immersion ads, instead of being helpful data/information on the current pros & cons of immersive ads.

Great job, as usual.

No personal hate, I know you just do your job

10 Likes

Give Roblox the credit for what they did right. They listed 8 things out of 9. Thats great transparency in my opinion. See 88 percent transparency is good!

Pretty darn transparent and a whole lot better than the old Roblox transparency.

16 Likes

No significant amount of developers will use immersive ads until they get a fair cut of ad revenue, regardless of what your new insights are.

9 Likes

Is there an ETA on when it’ll be more widely available for developers? Currently it’s only for the top devs. They understandably don’t want to adopt new, potentially disruptive things to their already nicely running game. Especially if they deemed it’s not worth it for them currently.

There is an important trade-off to make. Pretty much gauging how much a player’s attention is worth in robux. If the teleport rate is less than that value, then there’s no point in teleporting them away.

Increasing the access should raise the rates… Right?

10 Likes

Yeah that’s what I would expect too, but on the other side who would be willing to pay 10R$ per visit.

9 Likes

PLEASE, consider giving us an option to pay for immersive ads with robux in the exchange rate of 100 R$/:robux_gold: = 1 $ which is already utilized for paying out developers with subscriptions.

I literally can’t afford to pay for ads in fiat currency due to exchange rates between my local currency and USD + the fact that i keep all of my funding for games and UGC in robux.

Even if i decided to pay in fiat currency, i wouldnt be able to afford much at all.

9 Likes

I would 100% be open to adding immersive ads to my experience if we could set a minimum EPM setting and have it automatically enable/disable the ads based on the minimum amount we are willing to add it for.
10 robux per teleport is enticing to me, but it fluctuates way too far below that to do something as drastic as teleporting players away from my experience, which is not something I’m comfortable doing at this point.

8 Likes

This is on their todo list based on what they shared at their RDC talk however its doesn’t seem to be a priority when it should be the #1 thing they are working on right now. I don’t really care about publisher reporting or anything like that right now, I just want to be able to not send players away and show billboard ads for such puny amounts of robux.

8 Likes

This is the thing I don’t understand. Teleporting players out of your own game/experience is the single worst thing you can do. 10 R$ per teleport doesn’t even remotely cut it for me. I’d earn more just from Premium players continuing to play my game/experience. But this isn’t just about earning R$, it also ruins the flow of gameplay. I guess this really depends on the type of game/experience, but I just don’t see a situation in which it’s ever truly worth sending players to another game/experience, even if they have an easy way to return.

Now the billboard ADs are something I’m far more interested in. It’s something that’s non, or at least less, intrusive to gameplay and can even be used for world building in certain scenes. Plus it acts as a “do-later” response than a “do-now” response, which is much better. I wouldn’t mind of billboard ADs were also capable of prompting a purchase when clicked, though I would hope those ADs sell at a higher price.

8 Likes

As much I would like to use Immersive Ads and see them, I am half sure they actually work. Every game I play with immersive ads, I have never seen anything inside of the advertisement frame.

Edit: To be more clear, I don’t even know if they properly work because I never see anything in it. If I want to advertise my products or games with immersive ads, how am I gonna be sure that my advertisement will even show up in these games?

5 Likes

So true. I’m sure that there’s never once been an image ad created. It’s not worth it.

But… it clearly is, since there’s no demand. You can have such a low bid for it. Why not?

6 Likes

I only see placeholder images on immersive ad billboards, not sure they work.

We tried them in one of our top experiences. The best day we saw, was a day where we had 180,000 DAU - but only 700 immersive ad impressions. This made us 36 Robux (12 cents).

So even if this scales by a factor of 100 (and this could take years), that’s still only making us $12 a day from ads.

I know this post is claiming to be transparent but it feels like it’s an attempt to get more people using ads which aren’t taking off. There’s no transparency as to what % cut Roblox is taking from ads.

10 Likes

You can jus add the sponsor games, and ad clicks to our games and give us % cut of their bid.

4 Likes

Yeah I completely don’t get it. I was actually very hyped and excited for this feature as its a great tool for smaller creators to monetize and it doesn’t even work…

4 Likes