Import from Roblox in Animation Editor clears Clipboard

Copy an animation id to your clipboard (or anything really), insert a rig, open the Animation Editor and import an animation from Roblox.

At this point, your clipboard will be emptied. You can try pasting the id here. Nothing.

This issue has been reported over 3.5 years and ago, acknowledged, and it is still not fixed today. Ouch.

Quote from Roblox Animation Editor | Importing by Animation ID pasting from clipboard Issue:

The workaround is to use the Clipboard History from Windows (image) and get it back. All UX designers are rolling in their grave.

7 Likes

Actually I did some more digging and I have to say, I’m not even sure how this could have been messed up.

I assumed the problem would come from the method prompting a window to select the asset. Those methods often do a lot more back-end stuff that could mess up things such as the clipboard. Those are usually located in the Plugin instance. And indeed, there it was:

Plugin:PromptForExistingAssetId(assetType: string)

Awesome, that is definitely what triggers the clipboard to empty, right? Right!?

Nope.

I decided to try making my own, see if there’s any issues happening, or any complication that could happen.

-- Note: I use the shared global table to access tools quickly in my command bar
-- that I normally wouldn't be able to do, or just faster.
local id = shared.plugin:PromptForExistingAssetId("Animation")

if id > 0 then
	local ks = game:GetService("InsertService"):LoadAsset(id)
	ks.Parent = shared.selected
end

And well surprisingly, this doesn’t clear the clipboard at all. It works as it should. :man_shrugging:

So honestly, the truth is this is probably a relatively easy fix, and would have probably been fixed if the Animation Editor was open source. Empower the community.

3 Likes

Replying to bump this to the top, I’m honestly surprised this hasn’t been given more attention

2 Likes

Hi,

We linked this one with a similar issue internally and will close this one.

Thank you

1 Like