Imported Blender Avatar and Rig ends up blown apart in pieces

Hello, I’m having an issue when trying to import a fully rigged model from Blender. I’d like to get this avatar from Blender into Roblox to be playable, and have its full rig and such so that I can animate it in Blender and import those animations.

It is a Freddy model. Here’s how he looks in Blender:

I export him as an FBX, and use the 3D Import option in Roblox Studio to import all his mesh parts in one go as a bulk, together as a grouped model. But, when I do, his model just completely breaks apart and his parts are all over the place.
Here’s what it looks like importing him into Roblox Studio:

He is in total 39k triangles, with each individual mesh part being way under 10k.
What could be causing this?
Thank you!

4 Likes

Still have no idea why this is. Any help?

1 Like

It would be best if you tried exporting it as an OBJ file. FBX files are known to have issues regarding their location and rotation when imported into studio.

1 Like

Well issue is, I would like to retain the rig so that I can animate in Blender and import those animations, and, from what I’m aware of via tutorials I’ve watched, that has to be FBX?
Also, I have made sure to apply all transforms, and they’re all at 0 (origin)

1 Like

Try opening the ‘Asset Manager’ and go to meshes. Now select everything you need, right-click, and press ‘Insert With Location’.

Let me know if this doesn’t solve the problem.

1 Like

The meshes don’t appear in my asset manager, even if I search for them?

1 Like

That’s strange. How exactly are you importing the mesh to studio?

1 Like

I’m using the “Import 3D option” in the Avatar tab:
import3d
I’m using this option because the Avatar Import Plugin said this:

1 Like

When you use that method, does it give you any options to insert it using the scene position? Like something shown in the image below.

1 Like

Just tried that and it made no difference. Also, these are the options I get:

I’m also confused as to why the textures aren’t being transferred over too, like the example you just provided.

1 Like

Could you please go into more depth on how exactly you export the meshes? Are you exporting individual parts one at a time from that file? If not, how so?

I’m also confused as to why the textures aren’t being transferred over too

It depends on how you textured the meshes. I don’t have much experience with textures, but when I use them, I texture them with an image and then upload that image to studio and apply that image to the mesh in studio. It’s up to your personal preference.

1 Like

I select the whole model, and export as FBX in one go. I select “Only selected objects”, and scale it down so it’s not huge in Roblox (I did test not scaling it and the problem persisted). I also select apply transform.
Here is a short video of the process I take to export and import the model (I cut out going through my files):

And yeah the textures aren’t that big of a deal since I can apply them myself manually in Roblox, just was curious if there was a way to get them to work on import to save time. But like I said, not a big deal, I’m more concerned about getting the meshes themselves working.

1 Like

The way you exported the rig is fine, so I’m genuinely confused why the import looks so wrong. I found this reply to a post that might at least help with the rotation. You did say that all the origins are at 0, but It’s worth a try.

If this doesn’t work, could you send me the file itself so I can troubleshoot it? (if it’s fine with you)

1 Like

Sadly that didn’t work, so here’s the file if you’d like to have a look at it.
In fact, here’s all of the files, because the same issue happens to every single one of these avatars I wish to port over. So if you find a fix, do please run me through it so I can do it myself in the future!
Thank you for spending your time to look at them for me :slight_smile:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tAhxP_dOGlW3cFbbZmWYov-rYDRi7KoP?usp=sharing

I’ve been trying for a good hour now and I can’t seem to figure it out. The meshes’ rotation and position are fine if I export it as OBJ, but not when FBX. I’ve tried everything I could but nothing worked. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Damn that sucks. Well, thank you for the help anyway. I’ll probably just have to try find a workaround, or research more into FBX files in general and why it might do that.
Do you know any other way I can get the model in with the rig? Can I import a rig separately?

Sorry to bother you again, but I’d like to ask if you think this workaround could be viable:

1. I import just the meshes, probably as an OBJ, into Roblox Studio and group them as a model
  2. I rig the model in Roblox
  3. I export that model and the rig back into Blender
  4. Animate what’s needed in Blender, before exporting those animations and loading them into the model in Roblox.

This was, I could still animate in Blender, keeping the same rig, expect I just make the rig in Roblox instead of using the Blender rig? Is this possible?

I think this is a viable option, just don’t import the OBJ as a single mesh. I think Roblox decimates the mesh to bring the triangles down. Other than that, I see this as a possible solution.

Got it, thanks. I’ll give this a go and if it’s a good option to get around this, I’ll post it and mark it as the solution.
Thanks for all your help!

Have you set parents using automatic weights in blender?