Imported Mesh is Very Shiny

Hello! I modeled and rigged up some arms in blender, and textured them in Substance Painter; However upon importing it into roblox there were some major issues with lighting.

First and foremost, the normals are inverted once imported into roblox, despite not being inverted in blender. Inverting the normals in blender fixes this. The Arms are extremely shiny, even with my surface appearance removed, I’ve shading flat which changed nothing about the shine. I spent a couple hours on these arms so I would hate to have to remodel them, re-rig them, and re-paint them.

Pictures:

In Roblox:

in Blender:

Cycles:

Backface Culling on:

(Normals come out inverted in roblox if normals aren’t inverted in blender)
(Doublesided doesn’t help with the shine)

Any and all help is appreciated. :slight_smile:

Will send the .Blend if wanted.

2 Likes

I think the issue persists on ROBLOX’s lighting system, even tho it has improved positively during the years, it still has a few bugs, even Futuristic has some bugs. So I count on the ROBLOX lighting. I still recommend checking the property tab of your Meshpart.

1 Like

Is there a texture in the MeshPart that’s been brought over from Blender that’s causing the shininess? If so try deleting it.

What tool are you using in Blender to show the Face Normals? Normals don’t just invert when imported from Blender to Roblox.
Here’s a real quick video to show which way a Face Normal is oriented: blender show face orientation - Google Search

1 Like

Used, the shown method, both arms were red, meaning facing inwards, flipped all normals, and everything was showing up as blue, exported as FBX, and imported into studio, both arms normals were inverted upon importing into roblox. I’m honestly stumped.

Is there a possibility you’ve saved 2 separate copies of the file? One flipped and one normal, and when you are choosing the image to import you are choosing the flipped one?

No everytime I export it I use the same name, which should overwrite it.

Maybe a different file type, like .obj or .wav?
Have you checked the folder you keep the files in to see?

I don’t believe OBJ or Wav support bones, so the rig wouldn’t work properly.

Are you importimg each one or just clicking the MeshPart ID file folder icon and choosing the new saved one from your computer files?

Also, you never answered whether or not you have a Texture ID # showing in your MeshPart.

Im importing each one via the import 3D button, I’m not having a texture id# show up, I’m also using a surface appearance, removing. The surface appearance and the actual mesh is still shiny. Could it have something to do with having mirrored the arm? I noticed I had a similar issue with a seperate mesh I mirrored

Try taking a new MeshPart, then select it and look in the Properties window.
There is a file folder image next to the MeshID, click it and it’ll take you to your computer’s files.
Search for the ‘arms’ file you last saved and select it.
The Mesh should now appear. I’m not sure if this will make a difference, or if your saved file is causing the problem due to the way it’s been configured.

Get rid of the metalness map in SurfaceAppearance.

This makes the mesh appear in studio properly, however it removes my rig, making it just a mesh. It told me to go to Roblox Creator Documentation

which appears to be a dead page.

Edit: Flying inside the rigged mesh in studio the lighting is correct on the inside, if the suns on the left the left interior is properly lit, and the rightside is properly darkened. I do think this is an issue with my blend and not roblox although it could be a mixture of them not meshing well.

Removing the metalness map did not fix the lighting, only changed the PBR appearance.

reimport the mesh using the mesh importer and tick this box

Tried this in the past, the issue persists.

Can you maybe post the model here so we can see the issue for ourselves.

ViewModelArms.fbx (417.9 KB)

There’s the FBX, I don’t believe the textures will be there for you, but the mesh is shiny with or without a surface appearance.

Alright I’ll see if I can fix it.

Thank you! If you want the .Blend I can send that too.