Improve the Script Find feature

Introduction

As a Roblox developer, it is currently hard to quickly and efficiently browse through the specific scripts, the longer you use the Script Find tool, the more often you will notice minor issues with it.

Roblox currently provides developers a feature which allows to browse through the scripts:

(The “SCRIPT” Tab is visible once you have opened a script).

In this topic I focus on the specific script finding feature (not Find All / Replace All!)

My Request

There are a few things which could be done to improve the overall experience with this tool as following:

1. The CTRL+F Find window should not disappear when studio is no longer in the foreground!

Currently this window:

2024-01-04

will automatically close when you go outside the Studio window, if you have selected something else meanwhile the find text also changes to the selected text after the search window is reopened which also results in a loss of position in the specific line and previous search.

Making the find menu not disappear would make I believe not just my experience with this tool already much better, in my opinion this is a thing which absolutely needs to be implemented.

2. Add recently searched phrases like in Find All / Replace All

We absolutely need this:

2024-01-04 (3)

in the script finding window.
2024-01-04

In a way, this would be another solution to the problem I mentioned in the first bullet.

3. We need an option such as “Replace Other”

Currently in the “Replace” box we have 2 options:

• Replace Next
  • Replace All

Why not add a third option such as “Replace Other” which would replace all found phrases in the scripts apart from the currently selected one?
2024-01-04 (1)

4. Make the search window draggable

just like Find All / Replace All, Explorer, Script Recovery etc.

------

In my opinion, this is all we need to put our experience with the Find tool on the highest level.

I apologize for any flaws in my topic, this is the first time I made a #feature-requests:studio-features request.

5 Likes

I agree, as a developer these changes would help a lot with my workflow during scripting. I alt+tab quite a bit, so the first feature change mentioned here really would help me a ton during my work.

1 Like