Improve tutorial for new users

Ok so this might be a bit similar to some other topics but I think this is just absolutely ridiculous
Recently on the Forum page I have been seeing so many bad topics on #development-discussion

Issue: Unnecessary topics
This has gotten out of hand and many people are responding to these kinds of topics.

The image above shows how much attention these topics have gotten.
Pro tip: Whenever you see these kinds of topics, DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM just simply report it and the topic will be taken down by one of the Forum’s staff members, simple.

So my suggestion is that when someone is granted access as a member to the forum, they should have a better tutorial and then there would be a pop-up that shows the rules and maybe a little quiz so that the new member knows how to use the forum properly.

That’s all I got here for my suggestion tell me what you think of this suggestion.

4 Likes

I agree. Maybe it should be required you finish the tutorial.

However. We have been seeing a lot of topics requesting more moderation so if you know there are similar topics don’t post it, go support the other topics if you want to make an impact.

The “I need help setting up OBS” topic is way out of line in my opinion and should be taken down. However, the “Roblox Studio for Chromebook?” topic is an actual genuine suggestion, could be moved to another category, but otherwise that’s fine.

this is just my opinion btw

2 Likes

I just want to keep this post up as I want to hear what the community says about my suggestion but thanks for your opinion.

2 Likes

I’m a big advocate for this. While I prefer manual entry, I understand that’s not what Roblox wants for their forum; so an automated entry test, to certify that you have basic understanding of using a forum, would be good.

Ultimately it would be cheated, yes, but I think that most of the spam comes from good-intentioned users that simply aren’t fully aware about what they’re doing. A mandatory tutorial would help reduce this, as well as reduce common forum usage and forum rule questions.

5 Likes

That’s a good suggestion I can totally agree with you on that.

1 Like

If you mean cheated as in someone would leak the answers, then a good way to make this harder is to make a long list of questions, and giving random sets of questions so that no 2 tests are the same. The answer list should also be scrambled.

If smoene passes the quiz then it kind of means “you know the rules now”, so if someone make shitposts as it is called, then stronger punishments can be handed out since they know the rules but are still being stubborn.

I also suggest something similar to where in some Discord servers you have to agree to the rules to get access to the whole server/parts of the server by reacting to a message with a certain emote. So to unlock write to a certain category you need to like its “About” topic to explicitly agree with its guidelines. Of course read access is still allowed.

Right now by joining the forum and using it you are implicitly agreeing, which is a problem. By making it explicit you simply can’t excuse abusing categories.

6 Likes

I like the idea of mandatory tutorials, as long as it isn’t able to be skipped (like the one in @discobot Discource tutorial). Additionally, I think it would be better for all posts made by TL1 users to be reviewed before posted.

3 Likes

That is not going to scale for a huge forum like this :laughing:

the forum just needs to invest more resources and time into educating new users

3 Likes

I’ve already suggested mandatory tutorials:

(@ClicheClown, @Automationeer, @sjr04, @stqrrydev)

1 Like

I would think the ideal situation would be where posts into important categories like #platform-feedback or #development-discussion are reviewed by community members rather than a small mod/post approval team. For example, whenever someone attempts to post a new topic in one of those categories, they have to review 4-5 other queued topics. Once a topic is approved by enough people, it is posted in its category. To prevent false-positives, anyone who approved a bad topic would be subject to the same warning as the poster.

Of course, this would require some extensive plugin work, so it is probably out of scope for a while. I’ll probably create a #forum-feedback:forum-features topic about it when I get the time.

4 Likes

Introducing badge requirements seem interesting, I think it’s worth repeating what I said back in Sept 2019 in this post.

What I said then still applies now.

2 Likes

Did you mean Cover? I honestly think if you required these 4 badges, it would take maybe 10-20 minutes longer to gain member; I barely did much to earn all four of them. Still, might work a little better than what we have now.

1 Like

This is a really nice suggestion. In fact, I don’t remember if the Discobot tutorial even mentioned anything related to the rules (maybe it did, but I don’t remember.) A quiz would challenge users to actually read the rules, and it would also make them stick to their heads.
@stqrrydev

Well yes, of course this should be required. But I would really want the Discobot tutorial (or if you’re talking about that) to first be fixed. When I took the beginner tutorial, halfway through it completely broke and Discobot would not respond to anything I typed. The tutorial basically broke, and if new users would experience this, how would they pass and become a member?
(The tutorial itself was disgustingly badly formatted and somewhat confusing to me. It took me a decent while to get pass that tutorial)

1 Like

Cover yes. Just a small error from the time.

It’s a simple fix but gives clear education to users before entering the forums, it’s harder to use ignorance as an excuse when it’s clear that you failed to comply with the rules that you clearly saw (even if you chose not to read or take it in).

Lots of mistakes I found from Post Approval and as a regular was the result of lacking basic education on forum usage and form etiquette.

Would you say that the badges at the very least taught you how to use the DevForums?

2 Likes

I feel like people will just complete those badges to gain access to the forum, they could care less about them. Literally, all they’d put in the biography part is a letter or number. I do think Roblox should invest their time in adding on to Disco’s tutorial or create a new bot, defining the do’s or don’ts.

2 Likes

That could totally be the case. It could be part of an enhancement of the tutorials, even in a place where people read, people don’t read.

There’s always a debate of where resources can go, I’m looking at something simple which educates users. Do you have any counter ideas? It’s harder to play the ignorance card if you are forced to understand what the rules and how to use the fourms.

3 Likes

In order to gain someone’s attention, I just think that roblox could… you know… just make the text size 100 as well as making it bold :joy:

Jokes aside, I just think maybe attaching a post to announcements and pinning it with the do’s and dont’s would probably be best to combat that. Also, add in several examples of several different scenarios of the good and contributive posts like I think this is great but you should XYZ, I believe that we should do ZYX, etc. as to the non-contributive posts like I agree, I like it, it’s pretty cool, etc

2 Likes

Such as all the pinned topics? Explaining what the topic is? Some key information?
Such as the rules we have?

It’s something we’ve had for a long time, I’m not fully sure what is best to do from that.

2 Likes

Many of the pinned posts have shaped many posts in #collaboration:recruitment and #collaboration:portfolios , maybe doing this for the whole forum could be good as well. I don’t know though, it’s hard to implement “a one fits all” situation.

2 Likes