Improved ClipDescendants with Descendant Masking

The Feature

As a Roblox developer, I would quite like the ability to improve my UI even more by having additional settings that ClipDescendants can follow. These settings, would allow me to make my UI at the same level as now, but without having to use specific methods to bypass it.

Currently, ClipDescendants is only limited to a rectangular box round the frame that the descendants cannot be seen outside of, but I’d like further customisation for this feature, allowing us to create custom “masks” or regions that a creator can define and set up. An example of this might be a rounded rectangle image, which we may want to have a “rounded rectangle border” to keep items within the image

The Solution(s)
I suggest these two methods, both would achieve the same task but are potential ways I as a developer could use it:

1. Paths
    With paths, you’d be able to create a path round a region. Similar to the feature on Sony Vegas Pro, you can use this to mark out an area that can be hidden or shown. There might be multiple features like manipulating the area between the points to make a curve as seen below, or just marking it out in itself. Here is an example (screenshot taken from a youtube tutorial)

2. Layer Masking
    Rather than using the method above, we would use a similar method to photoshop, which would cut out anything within a region that was a specific colour. This colour could be anything from Red and Blue, or Black and White, and a region would represent an area that would be cut out. Here is an example (image taken from adobe’s official site) image

Use Cases

UI that use the “Slice” feature. i.e - Round UI

A round mini map that shows the map round a player, but is designed with a circular region in mind, and assures every descendant is only visible in that circular region

If you have any more use cases, feel free to message me them and I’ll add them :smiley:

22 Likes