Improved Water with the Shorelines Beta

Any ideas when the terrain tearing issue will be fixed? We’ve got an up-coming stress test for a project this Sunday so hopefully it’s patched / fixed by then.

2 Likes

i have been waiting for this for so long POGG

1 Like

Absolutely amazing!

I’ve been awaiting an update to shorelines for a long time, and today is the day! This contributes to the mind-blowing terrain matierals overhaul and this will certainly improve Roblox graphically.

Thank you for this amazing update! :ocean:

2 Likes

This is an excellent update and a feature that should’ve been included from the get-go.

I’m still holding out hope we will be given the power to use the same reflective properties of terrain water in other objects. The potential for creativity and the usefulness of proper reflections would elevate so many people’s projects to a whole other level.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen anything like this before, and it’s going to really help my beach game(s) a lot. 1 difference can make so much more.

1 Like

Normal water is kinda boring… maybe you could make it have more functionality, like individual colors, one user mentioned foam, realistic, but nice update!

4 Likes

yay water isn’t ugly anymore! :smiley:

3 Likes

Honestly, this seems great!
But I wish we could have realistic wave physics along with this so parts/unions don’t float in the air and actually have physics that makes the parts/unions interact with the waves of the water. (Sorry if you get confused about this this is my first reply ever)

18 Likes

I wish for this too, but ngl, your first mistake was relying on Roblox physics.

4 Likes

I started using roblox studio since 2018. This has always been something I noticed and I’m so glad its finally been sorted! Thank you roblox.

2 Likes

YESSSSSSSS

smallest and greatest update

2 Likes

This is the current issue with the terrain tearing

6 Likes

Hi, this update is awesome! Just one problem tho, there is a little crack.

5 Likes

This is a really great update, but I’m curious how exactly it works? Is there some kind of terrain layer system behind the scenes now? It would be really cool if something like that could be used for all materials, and it could also allow different material colors and physical properties for the same material on different layers.

3 Likes

Omg i have been waiting for this all my life and it is truenow

1 Like

Wow that so realistic! Well done guys!!!:star_struck:

IIrc, they actually expressed interest in changing the behavior, with a poll that I remember voting on. I can’t remember the post as it was a decent while ago, but I do remember it existing. The poor rendering isn’t set in stone.

1 Like

I’m glad you guys did this update but water really needs way more customization.

We should be able to add custom textures to it or alternatively make a whole bunch of settings which controls the water’s texture (like a procedural water shader)

As well as adding a property for underwater visibility too.

5 Likes

It’s a great update!
When I selected the beta shorelines and updated my place it worked nicely. My place is a group of 3 large islands with the Seal Level set at the same height across the map.

BUT

The issue I have is that when I did some minor fixes to the shoreline necessitated by updating it didn’t realign the Water surface to level again. The shoreline Water voxels are dipped down as @Razorter showed in their pictures at the edge of the new shoreline.

I’ve looked around to see if there’s a tool that would work for this as it seems the Smooth tool should do the trick. The Smooth tool has issues with shorelines. The Paint tool doesn’t do it.

I thought that maybe I’d have to disable the Beta Shoreline feature, then save, exit, reopen the place, and then enable the Beta feature again, but no luck.

Is there any way to have this as a dynamic feature so your shoreline Water Terrain would stay at the same level when you edit the Terrain next to the sweet looking smooth shoreline and not bugger it up?

4 Likes

Bro yes! This must be added! This would make my game’s beaches look AMAZING! Huge support!

2 Likes