Improved Water with the Shorelines Beta

I wonder how does this work behind the schenes. Does studio modify the voxel data? Or is it just an engine flag change?

3 Likes

Some people use the glass behavior so changing it could break games

2 Likes

Small update, it would be nice if we could have the water go on shore and stuff which is what i thought this update was. Though I guess this could be a starting point.

1 Like

Finally some nice update to water! I hope water will receive more updates in the future though. Is there any plans for option to change direction water is going in? Few months ago Iā€™ve noticed that direction has been changed from Positive Z to Negative Z direction and that messed up a map i was working on :\

2 Likes

Another nice update, makes the water look way better!

6 Likes

Roblox should have at least made it more of an optional feature if it uses recursive rendering or not. I donā€™t think roblox should be dictating the performance or the features of our games just because their performance metrics donā€™t meet some arbitrary standard. Also i do wonder, is the glass refraction issue really just an issue of no support for recursive rendering? Or is it just an issue of the refraction rendering before those objects

2 Likes

As a Terrain Designer, this update is awesome, Iā€™m really grateful to all the Engineers who are pushing the Terrain engine to the next level with consistent updates like custom materials, etc.

This is really a huge improvement.

5 Likes

I love it!! Now it looks more realistic and much more clean!!! Good job

3 Likes

Always wanted this feature!
I always was a pain to make water on islands look good. Finally this will no longer be a problem!

1 Like

YES PLEASE OH MY GOSH

I know weā€™ve got custom materials now, butā€¦Roblox, can we not just make one a default option?

1 Like

And I would absolutely love if this water material could be very transparent (such as 0.99) but still have the light refraction effect as well as no texture like Glass does at 0.99, but not at 1. Would make for some really nice effects!

5 Likes

This update is pretty great and we all cried tears of joy when we noticed the update came out.

We didnā€™t need to do much changes to our map when we updated the water, however, our testers were pretty quick to point out that the terrain LOD is tearing away from the current terrain more visibly than previously and in places where it never happened.

Because of that, we had to roll back our map to the time before the terrain changed. Pretty excited to see this fully live :clap:

3 Likes

Would be also cool to see a larger wave size than just max 1 as well :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Finally a very useful and great update! The issue with the water not correctly interacting with the other terrain has been an issue for such a long time and great to see it finally get fixed.

3 Likes

This is great, thanks! I would love to have the option to separate water and hard terrain collision groups as well!

2 Likes

Amazing. Finally no more weird geometery on shorelines. That has always bugged me.

2 Likes

Are there any other improvements to water planned? Iā€™d quite like a more lightweight option for it similar to a part, or to be able to more loosely define a region3 of water - no thousands of voxels to store in memory and stream over.

Not only would this allow multiple water colours on screen at a given time, but it would allow a lot of the flexibility of voxel water (being able to have multiple water levels) with a lot less of the performance impact.

Also seconding the request for sea foam! This looks great, I canā€™t wait to see what other terrain improvements are in store for us.

11 Likes

Wow this looks amazing cant wait to try it out!!

2 Likes

Maybe next we can make Terrain Roads without it affecting speed limit before you go jumping in a car?

2 Likes

This is awesome! Just wondering, however, are there any plans for a custom shader graph system in the future? Seems like it open the floodgates and give many more opportunities to use features creatively, especially in the cases of VFX and environment design. Either way, great job, this looks amazing!

4 Likes