Improvements to Object Insertion Workflow [Beta]

@ee0w @General_Scripter
That’s a bug with how our widget system looks at that menu. Making the menu disappear will allow Ctrl/Cmd+I to work again.

2 Likes

It’s not entirely obvious that it’s a global keybind imo. The placement sort of suggests that it’s local to that particular widget, and at first glance I expected it to open a full-size list similar to the non-beta version.
Maybe I’m just a special snowflake. /s

Before, I had a perfect workflow with inserting objects and manipulating everything, with both RMB and plus icon.
Now, I have to go through an entire process.

If you want to keep this, I recommend you have the insert object menu on the side all the time, that way it’s a one-click-go kind of thing. THEN, I think I could enjoy it :slight_smile:

EDIT: I’m not exactly talking about the advanced objects feature. I’m talking about having the context to the insertion at all times.

As someone who only ever uses Advanced Objects and isn’t interested in the other methods, I have to say I’m liking the facelift. All the functionality from the old version is still there, and the idea of darkening incompatible objects while still not preventing the user from adding them is a nice touch.

My only complaint would be that the padding between each object feels a little large relative to the rest of studio, and a “Compact” option (similar to Gmail) would be great for packing more info onto the screen without me having to scroll down.

Overall, nice job team!

1 Like

This feature seems okay currently, but EDIT: Oops, wasn’t on the beta version. I’ve been getting confused lately since beta features are enabled or disabled by default seemingly randomly :wink: So the following hidden text doesn’t apply.

I have one major problem and that is how it limits us in what objects we can create based on the parent. I would like to be able to create pretty much any type of object anywhere, but the new tool doesn’t allow that. Right now I am trying to create a part in ReplicatedStorage, for example, and it won’t let me so I need to go into Workspace first, then move it.

Maybe this is useful for people who are using Roblox for the first time and don’t know where stuff is meant to go, but for more experienced users it is just a limitation. I quite often put objects in places for storage as placeholders or whatever.

Also, more advanced objects like Motor6Ds, Welds, UIGradients, etc. are not being shown – I was just talking to one guy who was rigging and he was complaining how the only way to insert a Motor6D is to use the command bar (or a plugin).

Can we at least get some sort of ‘advanced’ toggle that lets us see and insert these things? If this aspect does not get improved I will probably just stay with Advanced Objects since it’s reliable, capable and already ingrained in my habits.

2 Likes

You can insert Parts under ReplicatedStorage, even if the text is grey.
I don’t think there has been any narrowing of functionality. If anything, this is more functionality than the old UI, which didn’t even show you Part as an option.

image image

I’m still disappointed by the lack of Motor6D and other classes in the Insert Object / Advanced Objects widget, though. Please Add Motor6D & others to Advanced Objects panel.

6 Likes

In what case were they unable to view Welds or UIGradient?

As for Motor6Ds, I will look into getting that changed. Thanks for the request!

2 Likes

Works flawless! Such an amazing feature.

1 Like

My bad, those were from the old insert menu sorry!

are you using a mod manager for Studio?

I believe that “Right Click > Insert Object > Click on an option from the menu” is much faster and easier to use. Especially since if I forget what I’m searching for exactly, I’ll have to click the show all button with the new version, and then look around in the list. Changing the position of the “Insert Object” option also seems like a bad idea, because muscle memory.

1 Like

I’ve unfortunately decided to disable this and avoid trying to use it in the future for the following reasons:

• You can’t list all objects (the Ctrl + I keybind is bad UX and does not work)
  • It overall feels less powerful. I like my power tools, I know what I want to insert.

However, I do like the Recommended objects, it’d be appreciated if we could permanently toggle showing all objects, this way we can do more powerful stuff easier.

1 Like

Works great so far!

I have 1 issue, and that is when you insert an instance it will not select automatically. I’m very used to that flow and it’s pretty weird to not have it.

Also, not sure if this bug is related to this feature, but I can no longer press a letter to filter through the explorer. For example, pressing P would scroll to the first instance that starts with a P, and after pressing it multiple times it would cycle through additional instances that start with P. This bug only started happening after I enabled this feature and has not gone away, whether it’s on or off.

Otherwise, this feels significantly more efficient and I’m loving it. I know a lot of people have just memorized the position of the instance they need in the context menu, but I find it a lot easier to just type the first few letters of the instance I need and hit enter.

The Selection behavior should be the same as before. If you open up the Insert Object Widget ( shortcut Ctrl+I) , there should be a checkbox at the top which determines if an object is selected after insertion.
I do not believe the bug you mention is related to the feature, but I will file a report for it.

1 Like

As a further blast to the past, the 2007 insert dialog wasn’t much better!
You had to type in the ClassName you wanted to insert:

6 Likes

Hmm, must have missed that. I’ll double check.

:+1:

This works great with my workflow; I keep the insert window visible (it’s cozy up there above TC/Game), or right click an object in explorer to have it pop up there too. The Frequently Used is great. Although I never use ClickDetector because I use UserInputService so idk why it’s there

cozy

Note: I don’t use ctrl+i, or 3D-view right-click menu, or the (+) quick insert (I kept accidentally clicking the plus; it should be locked to the right or left side of the explorer or something… not keep moving around based on name length)

1 Like

Additionally, since the full list is a seperate windowpart, it takes up way more space. I already feel slowed by having to switch between Eplorer, Game, Output, Properties, but now it’s just another mess instead of the way before.

Not a big fan right now, it has slowed down my workflow. However in the long run, maybe it being more streamlined will help?

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of how part inserting behaves in certain scenarios.

I use the “Part” button in the Home ribbon to quickly insert parts while building. It’s usually the fastest way for me.

However, one issue I’ve seen lately is that if I already have a part selected and try to insert another part, this happens:

This is especially problematic due to it automatically selecting new parts when you first add them, as seen here:

https://gyazo.com/a334d157cda6a1f451d4720ba21abc43

This has slowed down my workflow because I’ll occasionally look at the explorer to see several parts parented to each other instead of in the Workspace or a model like I’d expect, forcing me to manually reparent them. It’s a minor inconvenience, but an annoying one at that. Other than that, this is a pretty nice update!

6 Likes